What makes a good FM tuner? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th March 2003, 03:28 PM   #11
Jay is offline Jay  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Wow, thanks for the helps, pals…

And tvi, those links are great! I like the DIY page at www.fmtuner.com.

And as I have thought (nania was right), whichever tuner I choose, I will be able to upgrade the performance dramatically by parts upgrade (especially the filter). So, the physical look of the tuner will be my first consideration.

With many other specs, I don't think that they will be available as a label on the tuner body. And of course, the seller won't be able to answer if I ask. So, knowing the top FM tuners will be helpful (but I don't have a membership to the yahoo site nania gave me), unfortunately I don't think that I can find them easily in my country.

I have been looking for NAD tuner without success. I hope that this tuner uses OPA OP-Amp, so that I can replace it with a better one.

<B>Dave</B>,

You may be a Macintosh fanatic. But you should not blame Windows for every problem you have!

I wrote the text on MS Words before pasting to the text box. MS Words recognizes 3 types of quotes (straight, curly, and the inclined one). As far as I can remember, the double quotes causing the problem is the one "inclined". I think it is ASCII #147/148 in Latin I character entities.
Old 29th March 2003, 03:32 PM   #12
Jay is offline Jay  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Next time, Dave...

I promise I will check the paste result before hitting the submit button
Old 29th March 2003, 03:41 PM   #13
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Jay
I think it is ASCII #147/148 in Latin I character entities.
Curly quotes... i have been using them on the Mac since 1985. Usually the default is to off but Microsoft alway seems to turn everything on (one of the reasons for ALOT of the world's virus attacks). Any ASCII above 127 used on the internet is going to break on someone's computer somewhere (i am quite cautios not to use any of these platform specific characters), it would be nice if there was a standard character set, it could make alot of these posts richer.

dave

ie (if, on some platform where these screw up -- it would be interesting to see a snapshot)

curly quotes ÔÕ, ÒÓ
degress ¡
bullets ¥
omega <font face="symbol">W</font>
n, m dash Ð Ñ
mu µ
Old 29th March 2003, 05:41 PM   #14
Keld is offline Keld  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Hi
Like this in XP :
Attached Images
File Type: gif curly.gif (1.8 KB, 297 views)
Old 29th March 2003, 06:16 PM   #15
Electrons are yellow and more is better!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jay
&lt;B&gt;Peranders&lt;/B&gt;,

What is capacitance diode?? Whatever it is, I don’t think that a good variable condensator (I mean the one from metal housing) can be outperformed by… diodes??
Let me ask you: How are tuners tuned since 20 years back? Yes, capacitance diodes!

This is a diode which has higher capacitance than a normal one (but you can use a normal one also). You bias the diode backwards (plus on cathode), then you will get a capacitance which vary with the voltage. I have a capacitance diode in my vinyl amp (Denon PRA-1200). The diode creates a stepless capacitor from 200-500 pF.
Old 29th March 2003, 06:20 PM   #16
Electrons are yellow and more is better!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by EC8010
Unfortunately, varicap diodes are not ideal capacitors, and it is difficult to make a tuner with varicap diodes that is as good as one with real air-spaced variable capacitors or variable inductors.
The advantage of a real air-spaced variable capacitor is a more pure local oscillator signal => Lower noise

Hide this!Advertise here!