diy ttable from old idler motor?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
There are a great deal of idler fans and swear by their performances. Has anyone tried using old changer motors and build themselves one good performing idler turntable? By the way are the motors of my 2 old idler changer, a BSR and A telefunken spin accurately? Can they be candidate for a vg idler table?

Hello,

It can be done, and I have done it before. A few years ago, I built a DIY idler that still works very well. However, please bear in mind that the motor is one of the most important parts of any turntable. I would suggest that before you start, you discover as much about your motors as possible.

I manufacture a turntable...seen here...

http://www.oswaldsmillaudio.com/products - saskia.html

Anyway, the motor I use for that turntable is a critical aspect of its performance. (This is especially so with an idler turntable, any idler turntable.) Once I had decided which type of motor to use, I had the task of deciding a particular specification of that type. For example, one motor may have more torque than another, but its moment of inertia may be less. Then, what is the curve of that torque, and does it matter in your design? Will the loss of inertia of the higher torque motor be allowed for in the design, if higher torque is needed? The motor could even be noisier in one aspect, but quieter in another. Can you design around such things? One motor may generate more heat than another, etc., etc. You have to be able to compensate, but to do that, you have to know what you are compensating for.

The short of it is that any motor may spin the platter, but not just any will spin it well. You are starting at the right place, though. Once you have the right motor in hand, you are indeed off and running. It can be done!

Best,
Win

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.