Simplistic NJFET RIAA

Joined 2006
Paid Member
IMO, we can leave R12 as 100ohm and also C6 just to filter the rail, but the trimming action must be placed in the DNMOS source resistor..... Due to differences in Idss, we will need a trimmer to set the correct current to bias the folded cascode.

Nice one Salas .... once again I have some mods to do :)

Been simulating the R3 Mod with the Supertex depletion mode mosfet and found that with a CCS instead of R3, VR1 trimmer action is irrelevant.

Once we find the correct CCS current as to bias the folded half way, trimming R12 only changes Vds in the DNMOS..... It might change something sonically but does nothing in biasing terms.

Maybe we could also do without C6 if using the ccs ...?

Are you speaking of R3 or R13? I think the later, if not I'm confused.

ps Are you using 4.7 uF in the output? Have you more low bass ?

Thanks

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Now with a stiffer CCS..... this one might sound good :)

Attachments

• R3 Mod 2nd.png
    R3 Mod 2nd.png
    29.7 KB · Views: 216
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Are you speaking of R3 or R13? I think the later, if not I'm confused.

ps Are you using 4.7 uF in the output? Have you more low bass ?

Thanks

Sorry .... R13 it is indeed.

I am using 4.7uf in the output because my preamp sports 10kohm input impedance..... I would loose bass otherwise..... Anyway I believe there is less phase shift using bigger output caps :)

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Been simulating the R3 Mod with the Supertex depletion mode mosfet and found that with a CCS instead of R3, VR1 trimmer action is irrelevant.

Once we find the correct CCS current as to bias the folded half way, trimming R12 only changes Vds in the DNMOS..... It might change something sonically but does nothing in biasing terms.

Maybe we could also do without C6 if using the ccs ...?

Better vary R20 instead. Keep the cap.