Simplistic NJFET RIAA

Now this is the problem isnt it? Us "not in the middle of business" has to rely on second hand opinions. The opinions within the group of notin the middle differs largely in blind listening tests. At least amongst groups I trust to be honest.

I have spent a month now listening to 3 different series capacitors in my xo and I couldnt make up my mind. Then I changed the parallell resistor and all thinking of caps went dodo. Didnt matter. 5 bucks.

I love my spks now. My evil eye are on the amp. Its a rough built EL84 floating paraphrase with minimum caps in the psu (33 Uf on the splitter and 220 on the output. It sounds better then everything else that I have tried. Included SoZ variants, expert built tube amps etc. I really love it. A PP with a toche of SE if you like. Can draw it up if you like.

Anyway. I will hopefully solder up the simple soon. Will ask alot of questions then.

Peace in our time
/S

For my ears an Rx of 220R by Rhopoint and R1 of 47K by Charcroft is the sweetest and still very revealing. The other way around with 47K Rhopoint and 220R Charcroft is to bright for me not to speak Z-foils on both RX and R1.

Thorsten Loesch has been the primary person in the forum advocating rhopoint resistors. It's interesting to see how he uses them in his RIAA preamp here (together with a lot of other wire wound resistors): http://community.fortunecity.ws/rivendell/xentar/1179/projects/toccata/Toccata.html. So what do you think? Is the parts selection just TL's idiosyncratic preference/taste, or is he onto something?

Thanks, no real sofistication, and no Hagerman's calculation. I simply used PCB boards from Per Anders Strojom in the Netherlands, which I like very much. The RC are 100R Mills type and .047uF MKT caps.

Thank you for that info.
I think it's quite unusual to use such big values for resistor and such small values for cap on snubbers. I see in most known to me circuits people use 1R - 47R for Rt and 0.15uF - 0.68uF for Ct caps.
May be our gurus from that thread will help us to clarify the correct values for such circuit.

Last edited:
Thorsten Loesch has been the primary person in the forum advocating rhopoint resistors. It's interesting to see how he uses them in his RIAA preamp here (together with a lot of other wire wound resistors): http://community.fortunecity.ws/rivendell/xentar/1179/projects/toccata/Toccata.html. So what do you think? Is the parts selection just TL's idiosyncratic preference/taste, or is he onto something?

Taste I believe. For me it's about tweaking the sound to my unique ears.
Others might just as well think it sounds as crap.

Regards

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Is this the same for the Denon DL-110? Also, I have an AT440MLa at the moment but I am thinking about "upgrading." Would that be an improvement?

Thanks, David

This is for wanting to make something like FSP on a matrix board when having just 2SK170BL and an MM. FSP board with 369 and integrated reg is better in general and 43dB or 46dB is better gain for DL-110. That cart would not be a true upgrade to an AT440MLa just smoother in a Denon way. To top the 440 you would need Dyna 10X5 or Ortofon 2M Black. For even better you move to Benz ACE SH and Dyna 20X2 H territory. Presuming you keep at MM and HMC output level.