Simplistic NJFET RIAA

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Changed input load to 200ohm, the plan was to see if the midbass could be reduced
Went from 100ohm naked Z-foil to a 200ohm Dahle cmf55

The change was as expected , a little less midbass along with the other disadvantages you could expect going from a excellent resistor to a fairy ok resistor,

The bass peak is less prominent along with some reduced lower bass,
Not good to say how much is because of the change in value VS how much is because of the change in quality.

For those who are interested the CMF55 has some artifacts in the treble (distortion) the sound-stage is smaller and the lower bass is less detailed

Will order 150ohm and 200ohm in naked Z-foil,

You are buying load resistors in the proper load range and quality I think. Regarding your bit bumped up midbass revisit the VTF with extra care, those 33 series seem very demanding in regard to setting IMO. Not that they protest but they have significantly more to give when everything is just right. +/- 0.1g can be the answer. Their styli are apparently very precisely done, thus extra sensitive to how they sit in the groove. The MicroLine tip especially is highly accurate with minimal inner groove distortion (IGD) and it could clear 25cm/sec velocity in independent tests. Looks like its coming from Namiki Precision Jewel Co. Ltd. Japan, possibly for Lyra and Dynavector too, only they name it "Microridge". After VTF, VTA, & antiskating are thoroughly balanced, only then the loading can be really judged in synergy. The point where loading is too light (high) is usually hit when the surface noise migrates from "around the music" to "over the music". Use some complex dense cut like New Orleans Jazz, Cape Verde or Brazilian Ethnic, or classical with choral sections to fine tune for max resolution and tonal balance. The more mouths and instruments without glare you can distinct, the better. Then play Daft Punk and Sonic Youth for instance and see if the bass is overpowering or the guitars had lost healthy edge. Some Springsteen and PJ Harvey to judge weight and "air" in known voices etc. A voice from a live concert commenting or announcing something should appear dead center and have reverberation on it, emanating rather behind the plane of the speakers, background dialogues or audience cheer, chanting and whistling should be intelligible.

I am (belatedly) about to start my project.
I will order custom transformers this week - flux drain and shielded 50VA 36V toroids. I have everything else set to go aside from a pair of 8.2-8.5 for Q4 - I do have a pair 8.11/8.05 - will these do? Alternatively if anyone has a good match pair within the range they wish to sell and ship to Australia - I would be keen.
I'm looking forward to this

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Maybe 2M Black? One of the best. Plenty of output and when the gain is low the matching is making less of a difference. Also test points get stabler due to high value R2. Good luck and let us know your progress. Another good one MM in cheaper budget is AT440MLa.

Of course yes 2M Black - I've had it for a while. I've got everything done now aside from most of the resistors and the PSU. Should be able to test it out sometime over the next 2 weeks.

Maybe 2M Black? One of the best. Plenty of output and when the gain is low the matching is making less of a difference. Also test points get stabler due to high value R2. Good luck and let us know your progress. Another good one MM in cheaper budget is AT440MLa.

You are buying load resistors in the proper load range and quality I think. Regarding your bit bumped up midbass revisit the VTF with extra care, those 33 series seem very demanding in regard to setting IMO. Not that they protest but they have significantly more to give when everything is just right. +/- 0.1g can be the answer. Their styli are apparently very precisely done, thus extra sensitive to how they sit in the groove. The MicroLine tip especially is highly accurate with minimal inner groove distortion (IGD) and it could clear 25cm/sec velocity in independent tests. Looks like its coming from Namiki Precision Jewel Co. Ltd. Japan, possibly for Lyra and Dynavector too, only they name it "Microridge". After VTF, VTA, & antiskating are thoroughly balanced, only then the loading can be really judged in synergy. The point where loading is too light (high) is usually hit when the surface noise migrates from "around the music" to "over the music". Use some complex dense cut like New Orleans Jazz, Cape Verde or Brazilian Ethnic, or classical with choral sections to fine tune for max resolution and tonal balance. The more mouths and instruments without glare you can distinct, the better. Then play Daft Punk and Sonic Youth for instance and see if the bass is overpowering or the guitars had lost healthy edge. Some Springsteen and PJ Harvey to judge weight and "air" in known voices etc. A voice from a live concert commenting or announcing something should appear dead center and have reverberation on it, emanating rather behind the plane of the speakers, background dialogues or audience cheer, chanting and whistling should be intelligible.

Thank you Salas, very god explanation,
i belie i run about 2,2g weight and slightly negative VTA, (tonearm lower in the bearing end)
I ll do more adjustment when the final Riaa cabinet is done

Attachments

• IMG_3636_resize.JPG
    IMG_3636_resize.JPG
    161.1 KB · Views: 320
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I need some advice, I see a lot of builds with Clarity Cap in place of C4, but I have Mundorf Silver, is Clarity better?

The same goes for C3, in this case I have Obbligato Gold, are there any better alternatives?
Thanks to you all.

That's truly subjective and system dependent. You got to try with what you got first. You can't judge with 2M Red anyway until you got your better cartridge. The carts quality is decisive for what to choose in parts and HF EQ. Even with a typical DJ TT the differences are obvious.

Comparison between ORTOFON 2M Red & AUDIO-TECHNICA AT440MLa - YouTube

That's truly subjective and system dependent. You got to try with what you got first. You can't judge with 2M Red anyway until you got your better cartridge. The carts quality is decisive for what to choose in parts and HF EQ. Even with a typical DJ TT the differences are obvious.

Comparison between ORTOFON 2M Red & AUDIO-TECHNICA AT440MLa - YouTube

You're right Salas, first let me finish mine and upgrade to the Dyna, and then will start fine tuning. Found a Dyna 10x5 new for 400USD, which is less than 300€, quite nice price.

I tried a little experiment tonight. I turned on my amps/speakers, preamp, and turntable, put a record on, then turned on the FSP while cold (very cold). I waited a few seconds (imagining LEDs turning on inside the case) then selected the associated input on my DCB1. In retrospect I should have played a couple of CD's or something first, to warm up the DCB1 and the power amps in my speakers. I wanted to determine whether I could hear the FSP warm up. Measurements told me that the TP1-TP2 voltage starts negative for a minute or so, then slowly climbs and takes at least 20 minutes to get to our target 3.6V. I wasn't looking for a fault, just wondering how it changes as it warms.

I listened to a record I know well, although perhaps not well chosen for this experiment since John McLaughlin's guitar is already distorted, but I initially thought it sounded a little more distorted than usual, although not horribly. It was very listenable. Bass seemed a bit weak. After about 20 minutes (half way through the second side) it seemed like the gain had increased a few dB, and the bass in particular seemed to gain extension and power. Treble also seemed to improve, but then it would seem that way if in fact the gain had changed a bit. I started with side two of John McLaughlin's "Electric Guitarist", then played side one, where I started to hear an improvement, then went back to side two again (never touched the volume control). The improvement was definite - cleaner sounding, more extended frequency response in both bass and treble, and noticeably more "power" in the bass (Jack Bruce on "Are You the One?" sounded a lot better the second time around) and percussion.

I must try this again after warming up the rest of the system first, to see how much of the change is the FSP vs. the rest of the electronics.

BTW, I'm starting to like this Sumiko LMS cartridge -- I have always avoided conical stylii, but this little bugger seems to track pretty well and has good focus. Not "high end" but sounds better than I expected. Also more tolerant of setup (VTA etc) than more aggressive stylus profiles, while perhaps not getting the most out of the groove.

One other note: tonight I happened to have my ear right beside the mid/tweeter of one speaker for a moment, and heard... voices! Some RF stuff, I don't know whether it was radio or TV. Could not make it out, and could not hear it at all even a few cm from the speaker. Tried selecting other inputs to the preamp and couldn't hear it, so it was coming from the phono inputs. I'll listen again some day with the TT not connected; I *expect* this is coming from the cartridge or the TT wiring.