Simplistic NJFET RIAA

I've just checked the secondaries on my Selectronic R core with 15V secondaries which supplying a bib +- reg feeding an OpenAmp 1 mm phonostage and they are giving 37V.Mains has dropped to 247.5v.

Had same problems with Selectronic R cores I tried to use on the paradise

They are way out of spec and secondary voltagge is noot only out between 2 different transformers but also between 2 different secondary

Whit a bit of patience is easy enoug to remove a few windings and put things right.
You get what you pay for and those for Rcores are realy cheap.

As I did on paradise to drop a few Volts a couple of CRC stages may do the trick.

Last edited:
My choice cart. is a Supex 909 which at 0.2mV has just sufficient gain in my current system. I have to retire it due to old age (channel imbalance) and put on the Dyna. The Dyna surprisingly sounded full and very dynamic with the TT/arm setup.

Just feel like commenting on this and vintage subject ahahaha. When new stuff actually get a try, they surprisingly sound good, even better than vintage stuff :eek: how's that even possible? :hypno2:

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Just feel like commenting on this and vintage subject ahahaha. When new stuff actually get a try, they surprisingly sound good, even better than vintage stuff :eek: how's that even possible? :hypno2:

Like comparing a Ferrari P4 that needed a mechanic to start it with a modern Zonda that even have carbon places to carry your bags.... why do you make this comparison ?

Don't get me wrong, I see it just like you. I am bringing it up because lately on these forums I have read a lot of people claiming superiority of old decks, old arms, old cartridge just as if time passed for nothing.
Then you get somebody who has everything vintage and then because his cartridge is not working anymore, he was forced to try something new and found it to be better...and it was simply a low end Dynavector :)

I feel a lot of people are just stuck at the romance of old stuff, or simply can afford new stuff. I believe that some of the few selected vintage audio stuff, still performs certainly good but not up to new hi-end stuff!

As always, generalisations are dangerous Stefano. A lot of the new stuff is really bad - some time ago i opened a thread about a famous German turntable maker and the main bearings they produce. Apparently they wear out as fast as a decent stylus :)

Otoh, i cannot see myself ever using a vintage arm. I have owned the entire old SME range and several Ortofons and they are all - IMO only - terrible. Musical may be one way of calling it, but for some people MP3s are also musical.

Then again, once you go modern and really high end, the differences between good digital and good analogue become almost trivial. So, what's the point? :)