Attachments

• Salas Low MC pre-pre.jpg
    Salas Low MC pre-pre.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 472
Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I made BC547C addition to my LM317T PSU with 2 Elna RFS caps, but noise got increased. Please see attached schematics. Did I make mistake somewhere there?

Maybe you kept wrong values for your different voltage. Delete R4 to see (original schematic designation). Move the LED indicator on raw DC input side. Use a 10-20mA bleeder resistor in its place. The 317 needs a certain minimum consumption to wake up.

P.S. I would not use nF range caps across a 317's output. Better a 10-100uF Tantalum or normal ESR lytic.

Maybe you kept wrong values for your different voltage. Delete R4 to see (original schematic designation). Move the LED indicator on raw DC input side. Use a 10-20mA bleeder resistor in its place. The 317 needs a certain minimum consumption to wake up.

P.S. I would not use nF range caps across a 317's output. Better a 10-100uF Tantalum or normal ESR lytic.

Thank you for advise. I'll try and let you know.

It worked!!!!
It is quiet now and also I can hear differences between batteries and that circuit. It has better resolution.
Did not get your coment about caps...
I use 470uF Nichicon KZ and 0.1uf Wima MKP2 on regulator input, and in output I use 0.1uF Wima MKP2 with 10uF Wima MKP2 (10x1uF). Adj also set with 10uF Wima MKP2 (10x1uF).
Please let me know if you see any issue with that arrangement? I corrected drawing and attached it.
Thank you.

Attachments

• Raw DC Salas 14.2V.jpg
    Raw DC Salas 14.2V.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 403
Joined 2009
Paid Member
You can use that for the Itch also Merlin. VS SUT. Although people usually don't mix semis and valves tone, they prefer their vanilla and chocolate separate.:)

Now I have enough gain with the SUT I prefer all chocolate;)

I'm tempted to mod your 20dB pre-pre to 28dB attached schematic.

Attachments

• Pre-Pre MC simple Salas 28dB.gif
    Pre-Pre MC simple Salas 28dB.gif
    46.9 KB · Views: 297
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
So you use the bleeders too and it behaves too high still. Weird, I use R core too. Even at x1.4 it should hit 50VDC if it was 36VAC. Can you measure the secondary in AC?
Its not that the input sink will not take the 20V drop, its lukewarm with 10V drop, but I am afraid of you frying Q2X in the reg because its going to see VDCin-3LEDS across. Its a 50V spec FET the K117 and it will be right on max VDS edge plus dissipating more. It can be fixed by some resistor in series with the secondary, but better get the 2X15 Selectronic R core when in the UK or Australia it looks like.