Simplistic NJFET RIAA

Joined 2006
Paid Member
I am experiencing some strange static like noises in my last build. Disconnecting the cart eliminates the problem.

Changing cables made a uge difference, the "clicks" are now almost imperceptible but still there.

These noises are imprevisible... not always present, they happen every once in a while and the intensity is now below surface noise but still there.

IMO the main difference between cables is their intrinsic capacitance.... could not measure them but I believe the "noisier" one has less capacitance.

I would like to try to increase input capacitance so to solve this issue but do not know how far can I go with an MC cart like the Benz LP ?

Hi Merlin, I remember you placed some small caps in the inputs of your itch.... what where the values and why did you use this method ?

I would like to try to increase input capacitance so to solve this issue but do not know how far can I go with an MC cart like the Benz LP ?

The Benz LP is supposed to be fairly impervious to 'C' load - however, it does react (in terms of the sound) to 'R' load. Mr Lucaschek says he runs his at 47K ... with my phono stage, 1K5 sounds better, to my ears.

Regards,

Andy

Joined 2006
Paid Member
A few words about "The Folded". After a lot of optimizing for "Thermal management', and a cooler August, I have put in some more listening time in.

Since the boards will be produced likely under my watch, I wanted to be objective as possible, not trying to just get you to buy a board.

1. Noise, this is the quietest phono pre ever in my system. I think this leads to #2.
2. This is the most detailed phono pre in my system, including original RIAA.

The boards are mounted in one chassis box (Hammond, it deserves better), and the power transformers, diodes and a simple Cap and bleeder are in a separate chassis connected via 5 pin XLR.
The unit will hum if I put it next to another transformer so I made some space away from my other input devices (DCB1 and Oppo). Silence next to 98db lowthers.

The clarity of the sound is noticable, album to album, it picks up the general landscape and soundstage and 'flavor' of the album. For instance, the new Daft Punk album sounds a little glazed. Some older Moby "18" record sounds divine and clear. Maybe the daft punk needs an Enzyme wash!

Salas says more glory is possible tweaking the treble bypass cap will bring more glory.
Bass is no slouch, as proven with M83 remix album.

Hi Tea Bag,
i ´m really looking forward to the first official Salas-Board ;-)

Since i already build some of the njfet projects i guess that this
one will be really great.

It would be quite nice if Salas could give hints to his preferred
parts/BOM for these boards.

So if there is a GB . i´m in. When will it start? :D

Greetings Ulf

Joined 2011
Paid Member
For instance, the new Daft Punk album sounds a little glazed. Some older Moby "18" record sounds divine and clear. Maybe the daft punk needs an Enzyme wash!

Salas says more glory is possible tweaking the treble bypass cap will bring more glory.

Glorious news! That Daft Punk album doesn't need Enzyme wash, it just needs more soul, alas it's produced by robots. Poubelle.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
We have spent A LOT of time trying out different resistors based on IDSS of 2SKs, mostly in power supply. Still I think everyone's Bom will be a little different.
I think I will offer the power supply transistors and resistors, and have a stash of the 1837 caps recommended. I have desolder the sucker a ton and no issues with that.
Boards are really tuff.
Salas is getting build guide and BOM together.
I provided a great deal of questions for him to make a build guide for
Real world builders like me who need both math help and occasion best practice tips.