Simplistic NJFET RIAA

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Dont know anything about pcb design, but reason i chose ground plane was strong adherance of DAC folks. They seem religious about those things in their loe noise, low distortion world..
Its about other speeds and needs there, they use it as a shield because they radiate pulses. Yours worked well enough so no worries. When a Kelvin sense wide band supply is sticking next to the phono in a combo pcb we better define the gnd return nodes IMO. I will fully test when time comes so to be zero issues anyway. BOM, iron, hook up, music. If not I will scrap it back to square 1.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Low MC pre-pre

How much current draws the Low MC pre-pre? what fuses value between the PSU & the Low MC pre-pre?

Attachments

• Salas Low MC pre-pre.jpg
    Salas Low MC pre-pre.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 354
Quite similar.... in fact I use always the same value as a ballpark.... tunning by ear is needed in the end.

Tuning the RIAA components by ear, RCruz? :confused:

So it sounds right to you .. or so you get the RIAA response curve to within, say, 0.2dB?

BTW, there are several well-reagrded phono stages - like the Allnics - which state a +/-0.5dB for their RIAA response.

Regards,

Andy

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hi Andy

If you follow the exact values indicated by Salas in his schematics, you do not need to tune by ear but, if you can not get the exact values, as it happens to me seldom, there is a need to tune the high freq cap (15nF) by listening.... I gather two or three different systems and listen to the builds... Then I collect info from the various listeners and trim this cap acordingly.... that is what I do.... But if you want to be technical, get a signal generator, an anti riaa circuit, a scope... and measure things.

Salas I've just seen the preliminary pcb design (post #9651)
Nice idea! A bit too compressed for my taste (I'd rather use 1/2W resistors), but interesting indeed. (As you might know I'm presently making my own with SSLV1.2R on board)
I noticed that the cascoding bjt might be different: two dissimilar pin out. Are you going to replace the 560C or offering a second option for that?