Simplistic NJFET RIAA

I have no problems with humor.
Quite the contrary.
The Vds of the cascode Fet ( J310 ) develops a voltage over the 2SK170 buffer Fet.
If that voltage is too low we get more distortion. Therefore the J310 was chosen, it has high Vds at the idle of the 2SK170 ( around 8mA ).
You can simply measure from drain to source over the 2SK170, how much voltage you have there.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
If they follow in the lower regions, we can only hope that modern transistors usually follow in the higher regions too, that is for matching. But to surely know, confirm, or fully characterize, then its pro gear territory. But there are some kits of interesting tracers too.

What is very interesting is to measure BJTs in the saturation zone.
I found pairs that matched great ones they where full on but did not match in saturation.
I am still figuring out what parameters have to match.
For example in a common base stage high Hfe is not that important because that stage makes an I/U conversion. It has basically no current gain.
In mirrors i think it is important that the BJTs match in the saturation region.
Many medium power devices showed problems here.

Some of the cascode J-Fets had too low Vgs.

............. Are you talking about Vp ?

........... the trick is to choose a high Vp for the top fet.................

The Vds of the cascode Fet ( J310 ) develops a voltage over the 2SK170 buffer Fet.
If that voltage is too low we get more distortion. Therefore the J310 was chosen, it has high Vds at the idle of the 2SK170 ( around 8mA ).
You can simply measure from drain to source over the 2SK170, how much voltage you have there.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/powe...-voltage-shunt-regulator-213.html#post2124715

and confirmed in numerous other posts if you search Vp and/or cascode.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
$66 free shipping so I ended up with $50 after tracked shipping and Ebay substantial fee. But its $100+ new the 55 model in USA so it went too fast. The 75 model is $200 territory! Its the EU revenge time to US sold Fluke huge price benefit via UK Peak.:D

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
What is very interesting is to measure BJTs in the saturation zone.
I found pairs that matched great ones they where full on but did not match in saturation.
I am still figuring out what parameters have to match.
For example in a common base stage high Hfe is not that important because that stage makes an I/U conversion. It has basically no current gain.
In mirrors i think it is important that the BJTs match in the saturation region.
Many medium power devices showed problems here.

Looking for the "kinkless" BJT match.:) Golden Lion of semis.