Simplistic NJFET RIAA

What is grammatically or syntactically incomprehensible about "bass booming on the corner behind the speaker"?

Let me google that for you

The corners behind the speaker is usually where bass gets amplified by the geometry of the room and where standing waves are created. Bass energy is stronger in corners.
Do you really want your turntable in such a place?

If you read my post, dimkasta, you would've understood that I said I had my TT in the corner for 25 years (I've now moved), with no problems in terms of nbass boom or feedback.

But, yes, that wall-corner was 6m away from the nearest speaker. (Whether this makes a significant difference, I have no idea.)

Regards,

Andy

If you read my post, dimkasta, you would've understood that I said I had my TT in the corner for 25 years (I've now moved), with no problems in terms of nbass boom or feedback.

But, yes, that wall-corner was 6m away from the nearest speaker. (Whether this makes a significant difference, I have no idea.)

Regards,

Andy

I was talking about the corner behind the speaker in layouts like the one in Salas' photos (which triggered the comment in the first place). Which means one or one and a half meter at best. The issue is present theoretically in every corner of the room, but if the rig is decent then the effect should be minimal in corners that are not directly behind speakers.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I was talking about the corner behind the speaker in layouts like the one in Salas' photos (which triggered the comment in the first place). Which means one or one and a half meter at best. The issue is present theoretically in every corner of the room, but if the rig is decent then the effect should be minimal in corners that are not directly behind speakers.

Although he is living in a small space and he would not have much choice, luckily that TT is ~30kg with a reputation for withstanding external vibration very well.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
WTF is so "special" about a VPI ... compared to, say, half a dozen other TTs in its price bracket??? :confused:

Regards,

Andy

Its mass per $ ratio in the particular model's price bracket is a notable characteristic I would suppose. Don't know if are others with comparable approach in that range, haven't researched. Notable alternatives there should be many nonetheless. Sprung sub chassis, gimbal arms, etc.

Aah, OK. Yes, I would agree that 1.5m away might produce a worse effect than 6m away.

Unfortunately, in my next house, I am forced to locate the TT on the front wall, in between the speakers. So it will be, at most, 1.5m away from the nearest speaker.

On the basis of theory, to attempt to get a minimum-resonance position, I have decided to place the centre of the TT plinth on the Golden Mean of that wall. So we'll see how it goes, when we move in mid next year. :D

Regards,

Andy

Joined 2011
Paid Member
WTF is so "special" about a VPI ... compared to, say, half a dozen other TTs in its price bracket??? :confused:

Regards,

Andy

On the irrational and purely subjective side of argument, it's "special" because quite rare on my side of continent. On more objective side, it's external feedback proof and the tank like rigid build that I like the most. But if I'm permitted to turn the question, what's not to like in it?

Joined 2011
Paid Member
A friend sent me few pics with his new VPI Classic 1 carrying the Zyx Bloom H. Upgraded from a Systemdek & RB300. Really good result with the Simplistic he already had, he is very happy with the gains in his analog source quality. Thought I post them here. They are just from an Ipad with some weird light fixture in the corner, but you get the idea.:)

Continuing the OT. Nick, how do you like those Harbeths? And did they eat out of TSSA hands already?

On the irrational and purely subjective side of argument, it's "special" because quite rare on my side of continent.

Understand ... the lure of a rarity. ;)

But if I'm permitted to turn the question, what's not to like in it?

I'm sure there's plenty to like - my point was that I could think of several other TTs which I would think are equally as "special" in my eyes ... but they might be common in your neck of the woods, so you do not rate them as high as the VPI.

I'm thinking Kuzma, Brinkman, SME ... to say nothing of the LP12. :D

Regards,

Andy

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Does anyone know a good source for a matched k369 pair?

Spencer did have some, but I was too slow. The other parts are on their way at least.

To get matched ones I don't know. To get some and find pairs among them there is AmpsLab website in USA for sure originals and Ebay to try your luck but get only those that come on brown tape there. If not able to measure 11mA pairs and finding higher ones there is way to compensate, no worries.

2SK369BL are better performing on phono noise measurements in bass and upper bass due to less self noise in lower frequencies. I have only used those up to now in the folded so I cant tell you if the difference is subjectively too important VS 2x2SK170BL. Those who have used 2x2SK170BL are reporting they are very happy anyway, so its not end of the world if 369less. 1X369 is ~58dB phono, 2x170 is 60dB, 2x369 is 63dB. Particular gain choice build may be matching better to a cart and that is an important criterion too.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Continuing the OT. Nick, how do you like those Harbeths? And did they eat out of TSSA hands already?

They are nicely true to instrumental tone and voices, can listen long while following intricate clues without stress, the dynamics are tame and the bass rather sluggish. No opportunity with TSSA on them yet, I see that friend not too often anyway, but from being driven by the VT200 MKI I feel they are asking maybe for a 100W amp to be vigorous. They must be something like 85dB sensitivity the way they behave.

To get matched ones I don't know. To get some and find pairs among them there is AmpsLab website in USA for sure originals and Ebay to try your luck but get only those that come on brown tape there. If not able to measure 11mA pairs and finding higher ones there is way to compensate, no worries.

2SK369BL are better performing on phono noise measurements in bass and upper bass due to less self noise in lower frequencies. I have only used those up to now in the folded so I cant tell you if the difference is subjectively too important VS 2x2SK170BL. Those who have used 2x2SK170BL are reporting they are very happy anyway, so its not end of the world if 369less. 1X369 is ~58dB phono, 2x170 is 60dB, 2x369 is 63dB. Particular gain choice build may be matching better to a cart and that is an important criterion too.

Ordered 20pc from amplab. Got to learn myself how to match fets sometime anyway. The folded should fit both my pickups (0.5v) nicely with k369.

I´ll be back when **** hits the fan.

e

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Mine are not Harbeths, although same BBC family descendants and quite match your description. Sensitivity is higher, still I'm affraid TSSA might have less power than needed to move them. I'm on my way to find out, anyways.

Yours are Spendor S100 if I remember well? At 89dB/W/m as measured by Atkinson they should be much more comfortable than SHL5 with a circa 50W amp. Current delivery and damping factor from just a couple of drain out Mosfets in a low negative feedback amp won't be spectacular but your speaker does not dip impedance too violently. You will evaluate in time.