Simplistic NJFET RIAA

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Do you refer to change R2-3 3 ohms to 3R3 ohms?

Wich position 11,63: first stage?

There are two Rs one under each BL. You need run about 9mA through each to have exactly the same variables as with the original schematic for 11mA. When having a bit more IDSS you can experimentally compensate by rising the Rs a little.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
We are talking the two small Rs in your first stage. You can measure mV voltage drop on them and divide by their value and try next value up or next after that. Better not use trimmer on second stage because the 43R value in normal resistor provides enough degeneration to match the gain of many non same IDSS and it has better ppm and long term reliability by having no moving contact.

My brother and I spent a good deal of time listening this week. The board were put in a proper case. The psu is standalone with dual 175Va EI. They feed Mur860 diodes and Siemens Sikorels(3.3mF). Neutrick umbilical to main case. Whole thing is dead quiet, and with volume turned all the way up, all you hear is slighte valve noise from tube. Put 1uF SIO on the output. It was wonderful. You knowit is good, becaue you could hear the change in caps fromObbligato oilers to SIO. Classic SIO smooth and accentuated mids and highs. Background is so black, my brother starting laughing, as on one track of Morph The Cat, he heard some suttle guitar picking that he had not even heard before. It is truly a wonderful phono and has me looking to build a quality vinyl rig. Ill need some suggestions there, BTW. I am sending one to Salas to see if h thinks the SMD make a differnence. I believe they do, ubt you know how that goes:D I lave you with an email from my brother, who is acting like a child, I might add.

Well done Salas. This phono is truly HiFi.

My brother comments.

"..the Patricia Barber is completely indescribable...the standup bass
has a snap to it. I have heard 100k systems that don't sound this
good...this smokes the X Ono and the Linto. You have a winner..."

We have Audio Advice in Raliegh Nc. While they are now mostly doing big money home theatre stuff, they used to be big time hifi, carrying Linn, Musical Fidelity and other high end equipment. My brother and family friend were regulars and both have heard quite a bit of equipment. A great deal more than I. Both are very impressed with the RIAA. I have the Paradise kit and absolutley no desire to build it. You have to appreciate the nakedness of the sound when cap change is so obvious. It is my hope that the .1% 25ppm resistors also do their job of getting out of the way. Salas, will let us know there.

Ill check out VPI, but not against DIY:rofl: