Simplistic NJFET RIAA

I would think that you would lose one of the major advatages of SMD, shrt traces and small layout area. I have my SMD version in a 2.5 x 3.8" area with all cap included. It's kinda fun:) I really like the idea of the SSLV being on same board. Very professional looking. Second set I may try adding this plus dcb1 to output. This stuff is like play time for me:D

Bros. My TT is not worthy. Plus, gotta finish my speaks to really enjoy.It's on the list now. I was always content with cd/flac, but my high res version just doesn't sound then same. Of course we have different setups. I am bringing it home tonight to see if I can check curve and distortion successfully. Been looking at SMD RiAa layouts. Is it best to have ground plane encompassing opposite side of majority of traces? It's such a big topic, hard to know where to start. Any penalty in adding SSlV on same board like you suggested? His old pre had RIAA in a enclosure inside the main case. I assume for further noise isolation.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Yesterday I visited a friend that uses a 4w triode amp from Swissonor.ch feeding open baffles with single full range drivers from PHY-HP.

We hooked the folded to his Thorens 124 with SME3009 and DL103... waited 30 min and wow.... incredible detail, super wide soundstage, no noise, super dynamics.

Totally obliterated his Beard phono.

Full range drivers complement Salas stuff well. They have a nakedness to their presentation of the music that is hard to match with multiaays. I enjoy minimal circuits that perform well. The more complicated a design gets, the harder it seems to get it just right. Not to say it t can't and isn't done, just difficult. Brothers speakers are Mark Audio Alpair 10.2. Über lightweight metal cone that is simply a pleasure to listen to.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
0.047uF is the interstage in FS-NJFETRIAA. Only reason to go up to 0.1uF is if having suboptimal output capacitor value regarding the Zi it couples to. Yes, it messes with the tailored infrasonic response and that is audible in combination with speaker size, room, and TT. Don't experiment with value if possible.

One last bothersome question. CAn you think of an idea where something could be incorporated into a board to allow for easy cap changes. I thought about copper standoffs, allowing one to screw done the leads, but I am unsure if this will have a negative impact on the performance. I cannot think of any kind of connector that would be easy for this sort of thing. Long leads would seem to be problematic and leaving adequate space on the boards also seems to be problematic. Some of the Russian caps are quite large and I am unsre how to organize this thing to be clean, neat, and low noise.