Simplistic NJFET RIAA

Stupid question

Ok, after trying to wade through 900 pages and 5 years of posts, I have a question: Has there ever been a group-buy for PCB's for this circuit? I have seen several PCB layouts here, and photos of DIY PCB's and perfboard projects. I figure a phono preamp is perhaps one of the circuits most sensitive to layout/grounding issues, and I am not confident of my ability to build it on perfboard, even though it is a very simple circuit.

But, I am re-entering the world of vinyl after a long absence, and my current preamp is a Salas DCB1, so this looks like a good match. I would love to build one (at least one, since I might want to have a MM and MC version), but I am most confident assembling a printed circuit board. Do they exist? Can they be purchased? Is there another thread about building this circuit?

I must say, reading this thread is very interesting and educational, and it is the thought, analysis, experiment, and input from many people that makes me want to build this. That, and my trust in Salas after building the DCB1, which works as advertised! (I am assuming I will power my phono preamp from a Salas shunt reg.)

Thanks for any info or advice any of you can offer.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
No it never has been. As a matter of fact I had this idea floating lately to issue a stereo board complete with integrated double mono regs for the Folded Simplistic NJFET RIAA. MC only mind you. And it could take single K369 or double K170 1st stage to cater for any of those genuine types already stashed. Can't support the wild sized parts choice freedom or achieve the last touch of personal taste finesse an own point to point can. But it could make do for the p2p timid builders. Authoring and testing cycle for such a high gain sensitive project multilayer board is not short though before I am happy with the design & results. Factory protos aren't a home etch. Takes much work its well done before ordering to test. They cost a lot and take time to deliver. I will see to start this in the near future.

No it never has been. As a matter of fact I had this idea floating lately to issue a stereo board complete with integrated double mono regs for the Folded Simplistic NJFET RIAA. MC only mind you. And it could take single K369 or double K170 1st stage to cater for any of those genuine types already stashed. Can't support the wild sized parts choice freedom or achieve the last touch of personal taste finesse an own point to point can. But it could make do for the p2p timid builders. Authoring and testing cycle for such a high gain sensitive project multilayer board is not short though before I am happy with the design & results. Factory protos aren't a home etch. Takes much work its well done before ordering to test. They cost a lot and take time to deliver. I will see to start this in the near future.

:up:

Its a perfectly logical suggestion, I just believe that people will be more at home with parts they have previous experience in sourcing and preference, plus they can see/handle more confidently.

Very true. I must admit I am doing as much for the experience as anything. It just so happens it plays favorably to the application. There are definitely not as many choices with SMD and it can be a pain in A** to solder. Either way, I am interested.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Also, through-hole can give builders more choices in terms of parts selection, different sizes and lead spacings.

So drat: this means I need to build a p2p version or a different design (maybe a kit) first, then build the new Salas one when boards are available!

Build a p2p MM as you said you will need one also, which the folded version can not cater for. Its less prone to hum issues due to less gain, and a nice opportunity to try your hand. Its easy, go for it. Nuisance noises are primarily a consideration of correct packaging in this, don't be much afraid of the layout as long as keeping it logically compact and orderly. There are so many photos to pick ideas in this heroic 5 yrs thread nonetheless.:)

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Very true. I must admit I am doing as much for the experience as anything. It just so happens it plays favorably to the application. There are definitely not as many choices with SMD and it can be a pain in A** to solder. Either way, I am interested.

Another factor is not anybody buys from stockists like Mouser which can be a PITA for small partial ordering of missing stuff when not living in North America. Low PPM SMD resistors are not in anyone's city store in any value to replace the one he lost in the carpet and dammit can't fire up the project. Others have a few values of boutique resistors and caps they like and they just wanna supplement the same from their favorite audio parts stockist and so on.

Power resistors are where I have found a real void when it comes to low noise applications. Isabellenhuette have some superb resistors, but the values are very limited. Their performance for current noise is on par with best SMD. Caddock are available but not top of the crop for noise. Checking about Vishay's precisions version. One of only a few that I have found that have them available in the higher values. Brother absolutley loves his. I was able to kill most of the hum with "distance" until final version is complete. I will be trying and playing around with PIO, TEflon, and SIO. THe simplistic is worth the effort.

I am thoroughly impressed with it in every way. The step up in clarity and dynamics over the tube RIAA is incredible. Very balanced top to bottom, with exceptionally punchy bass and nice air up top. Black as soot background. I would not be so consumed with parts selection if i did not think it was worth the effort. I have to finish the MPP and compare the two, but i think i have a good idea of how tha will sound in the end, with very SS signature. I am hoping the PIO teflon combo on the output works, as it offers the possibility of very good compromise of characteristics if what I have read is true. Ordred both RT and RTX for the filter, to compare to Auricap XO. Obbligato gold, and russian teflon as more options for .047 coupling cap. If The teflon outshines the others, Vcap willl be next.
Big Kids playground.

I have considered a SUSY version. What do you think? Is noise and distortion level already ls low that it wouldnt be worth the bother?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
If with SUSY you mean balanced, it will give you a 3dB hiss penalty instead. Balanced is just more circuitry and wider loop area when the signal transfer environmental conditions don't demand it in the first place is my opinion. Good to know your proto got sorted out enough to start showing its teeth. Parts play is recreational to many, its just a hobby we do here anyway, so do change stuff and listen for nuances to your hearts content, no objections. Even if such things can't be measurably confirmed most of the times over basic good parts, its integrated to the audio tradition to experiment subjectively also.

I was in error about the Riaa. He had a Conrad Johnson Classic Tea2. This was sold to buy the Quad floorstanders and Shenda SD-9 , which is twin of the Jolida Jd-9. It is believed the same compnay made both. Never really payed much attention to his phone pre, as I was a CD guy and only listened when going to his house. I was more into speakers and amps until this and stayed on the fringes with big ticket audio, as I could not afford it. I can honestly say that I have never heard a CD setup that make Steely Dan sound so good. I was surprised to find that when i opened the Shenda, only the buffer was tube based. The RIAA was opamp.

Another factor is not anybody buys from stockists like Mouser which can be a PITA for small partial ordering of missing stuff when not living in North America. Low PPM SMD resistors are not in anyone's city store in any value to replace the one he lost in the carpet and dammit can't fire up the project. Others have a few values of boutique resistors and caps they like and they just wanna supplement the same from their favorite audio parts stockist and so on.

Salas,

Would it be hard to make the board use SMD and/or through hole resistors.
IMHO I don't see a penalty to design for both where you know SMD resistors are available and would make a difference.
Maximize flexibility.

Rush