Simplistic NJFET RIAA

thank you for reply
I have listened at least 100 Hrs but still think that Is missing air
OK,
I degenrated the BF845B with a 33R resistor. Now have 14.5V at its drain. Nothing else has changed. Getting 8.1V drop from the LED's. Drain of Jfets are at 8.1V. THey are dropping 32mV across Rs, so all is good there. GAin jfet is still at 5V, but it seems easiest way to deal with this is to reduce degenaration or add higher Idss Jfet. Perhaps that is the problem, I used a higher Idss JFets, so it is causing greater degeneration with current 43R resistor. Not sure how the gain jfet and buffer plsy into setting of resistor, but all that is farily tweakable. I have to figure out why I cant get voltage at TP2. I have checked all traces. No shorts. Values are good and I can write them out if you like. Based on your measurements, RCruz, I need to degenerate the BF845 more, but this is simply about current level to LED's. How would it affect the setting of the collector of the BC560.

I have On semi BC560 and Fairchild BF845. I have checked the layout, and it is correct.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I have 31mV across input fets, RCruz has 29mV. THey were Idss matched to 8.5 and 8.6mA. THE output fets are higher Idss, in the 9's, as I did not have any more good matches in the 8's. THey wer matched using 12V battery setup and 1K resistor. While not 10R, my results on FE are very close to RCruz, so nothing is too far off. I use tenma DMM for measuerments. I can degeneraete the BF more, but it did not seem to affect anything. Only thing not in the ciruict is output coupliing cap and its bleeder, as it should not affect the outcome. THe outpu stage JFet could be degnerated less, but I am unsure how it affects the RIAA. It should not affect Zin, as long as the Rl is not changed, correct. Not of that explains why i cant get a voltage across the collector of the BJT.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Buzz, you can't get a voltage across the collector if you can't have spare current for its 2K2 load is a suspicion. That can occur if your input Jfets are stronger and drop much over the 1K5 resistive CCS. Try trimming B+ slowly up on the SSLV while watching the collector to ground voltage. See if it will start showing up at a point. So we can have a picture of this assumption.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
1k5 is feeding the fets, 2k2 loads the bjt's collector to ground is the correct thing. TP1 changing means there is variability because there is no constant voltage (Leds+Vbe) provided by the bjt. Watch TP2 with a DMM as long as providing increasing B+ after you make sure the 1k5 and 2k2 resistors are configured as I mentioned.