Simplistic NJFET RIAA

Will do. Just used smd resistors. For small filter caps, i used Panasonic FM simply because they have great performance numbers on paper. May try smd next time, but wouldnt expect much difference. Caps are Auricap XO, and i also got Obbligato gold on you recommendation, RCruz. Using common mode choke for filtering before mur 860's, which will feed 10mF nichicon KG. That will be prereg for Salas shunt, of course. Hope to listen today with brothers rig, as this one is his.

These are Vishay TNPW. I saw their noise performance in a paper Scott Wurcer posted in Blowtorch thread on resistor current noise. I can post if you like. They are such tight tolerance, matching is no concern, and they have ppm as low as 10, in some cases. Susumu RG, i think, is also excellent candidate. I am doing this becausevi like how Salas sets things up for subjective tweaking and figured this would be a untried version. As far as building goes. I have gotten to where i can slingnit pretty fast, but i am not promising it will work :D

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I see they come only in 50ppm when 0.5W though. How do you manage the 2K2 1W in your plan? Then you can't make experiments for load or bridge resistor between types like with through hole, don't know. Good for getting all in one make kinda thinking. Not that cheap though.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Did you manage to get matched caps for the riaa filter ?

I do not see optional caps positins in your boards for trimming options.... my first simplistic was done with an etched board also and when I started to finetune it, it became a big mess.... had to add holes and p2p connections for the extra components.

For a full fledged board, it would get more difficult. They have enough variations, that switching is no big deal. Paralleling is easy, by stacking. Vishay makes higher power smd versions that i am using. All very similar performance specs. Of course small signal is where the excel. I did get matched caps. And have some teimmer psoitions that cant be seen as an intentional act. There are two sides to every story....an dboard, in this case.

Last edited:
I think you are exactly correct. A good visual picture og this is the chart with the Caddocks. As you go up in power rating increased thermal mass), the noise level drops. Here it is.

https://dcc.ligo.org/public/0002/T0900200/001/current_noise.pdf

Because you got to have some thermal mass to fight temp roller coasting. Anyway they look like a good balance between performance and price.

They are on par with Vishay Zfoil. Of course this says nothign about the sound of thin film vs foil.

Little update. Home from basketball practive, so time to start. Not sure the grounding scheme is ideal, but can be tweaked.

Attachments

• DSC_0138.JPG
    DSC_0138.JPG
    754 KB · Views: 296