Simplistic NJFET RIAA

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Not to play oracle, its up to your own decision to make some tries so to suite the parts tone to your own system regarding your experiences from types you are familiar with. To otherwise say that this open loop design will not respond accordingly it would also be a lie. Cook your food to taste with ingredients you trust, we just tested the recipe....In other words.;)

You can find obbligatos 0.1 and 0.047u here Obbligato capacitors (Cool supplier)

I used those as coupling caps but really prefer FT3..... Anyway Salas posted that small footprint is better so FT3 might not be the perfect solution here.

Since i am using SMD resistors, I will try to keep everything tight. Big caps do tend to get in the way. I will start with small MKP and move up. Do you have a link for an Ft3 in apprporiate value. Checked Ebay and known sites and have not been able to locate them. Looking at old NOS polystyrene as well as newer Multicap version. Hope to have evrything here and assembled before Xmas. Great time to sit back and listen. Thanks for the help.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Since i am using SMD resistors, I will try to keep everything tight. Big caps do tend to get in the way. I will start with small MKP and move up. Do you have a link for an Ft3 in apprporiate value. Checked Ebay and known sites and have not been able to locate them. Looking at old NOS polystyrene as well as newer Multicap version. Hope to have evrything here and assembled before Xmas. Great time to sit back and listen. Thanks for the help.

FT3 is very rare to appear in 0.047u. 0.1u is the norm. K72 does, but you might find it a bit pinched, depends on other components synergy. Keep in hand Micas along with polysterenes for the 15n15 trim, they tend to either clean up or smooth out the brilliance range depending on your final tailoring assortment of parts. Very good are the styrene and tin foil, combining best of both worlds.

Hi Salas & Ricardo.

The 'styrene & tin-foil' talked about...
...is this the material used in the Ruskie 'big-block' type 'Square' Polystyrenes...
...or are we talking about something different ?

I have both 100n & 47n of the Ruskie K72's here already, to try.
Pinched ?
Ouch !!!...that sounds painfull !

Component size...No-worries...Here at Space Egg !

I guess that means I'll have to get FT3 now, as well ?
To try ?
Nightmares otherwise ?

Darn capacitatoes !!!

Cheers.

Si.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hi Space

Styrene ad tin foil is somethin like Relcap polystyrene & tin foil.... heavy caps (tin foil) with polystyrene dielectric..... Some say these are the best of many worlds... I do, JC also... It seems Salas like them also.....

K72 are teflon dielectric URSS caps... quite good but not on par with Ft-3... read last salas post.

Caps do not frighten me ... love them... the bigger the better.... (I mean higher voltage ones)... and square ones seem to sound better than tall ones....

Have been there, done that... do not feel the pain.

Anyway, like Socrates I say (Só sei que nada sei) I only know that I know nothing :)

Last edited:
Darn !

I thought from reading the thread; that K72's 'Were where it's AT baby !'
Seems not.

Oh well...a few quid more on the ever spiraling ( Ayrton Perry styleee ) budget !
Only 'the best' for the Simplistic though.
I hope to take this new phono-pre...To my grave !...
...so might as well 'flash the cash' on some more old-school Ruskie tech !

----------

Another 'ultimate' question...
I get the concept of having 'single' coupling-caps ( although, have seen 33n + 33n + 33n etc. )...
...'for coherance'.

But obviously even 'top-gurus' add 'parallels' to their 15nF filter-caps.

The signal here though is obviously getting 'dumped to ground'...
...seems that top-stability & accurate-value is the goal here.

The reason I ask is...
...I have some 14nF silver-micas, as a possible here.
I could try 'bumping them up' with an extra 1.5nF silver-mica...
...but would probably still need a few extra 'small' silver-mica's to hit the correct value.

To cut to the chase...
...Any objections, to say 1/2 a dozen silver-mica's in parallel ?
( I have seen a couple of 'top gurus' do it ! )

-------------

I also have some K72 Teflon 15nF 1600volt caps.
They measure...
This is at the 'centre of their drift'.
They do 'drift' a bit ( a lot actualy ), but no more than Polystyrenes, I have tested.
Silver-mica seems very stable, by comparison.
Anyone tried the K72's in the RIAA filter ?
47nF K72 also ( I have some bang 'on spec' ones )...
...Silver-micas I have also, 'bang on' at 47nF.

Can try them all of course; just wondering if peoples have been the same way.

The 'Simplistic' is turning out to be 'The Complestic' ! as for parts gathering.

Desk full of parts though...
...soldering-iron at the ready...
...We build SOON !

Cheers

Si.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Riaa caps are not coupling caps. They form a complex filter to aproximate the 6db slope cut into records.

You can use parallel caps here to reach optimum values.

For the HF caps I suggest you start at 15n and then add small quantities until you reach nirvana.

micas give powerfull snappy sound, styrenes give smoother highs.... cook it up to your taste :)