Simplistic NJFET RIAA

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
The modular horns sound system is in top notch tuned and measured shape by now. Amps sorted out and compared. Thus the ground is prepared for better evaluations. First folded simplistic channel is laid out p2p. The hobby work continues tomorrow. Greetings from Poros island.:wave:

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I am taking pics but I only have a notebook with me without the camera's USB cable. I will post them when I will be back along with the story. Folded will be 2SK369 input for a Shelter cart on a VPI. There is the system's normal simplistic for comparison, the system already rips with vinyl as it is. I had chosen to use a grand scale diy system that I have personal knowledge of, plus investing some dedicated time in a relaxed environment thanks to George, to give you guys the phonos evaluation and/or final tweaks. I think its the most adequate procedure.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Its windy today but not cold, few weak showers too. I am right on the seashore.
The horns are bit lifted for avoiding interference from the midbass cabs as Lynn Olson said to do and there is 1A bias TSSA SMD and through hole amp by Sonny at Sito we run now and the Baby Huey you saw in the link. Mics checked and in room power evened out.

Hi Ricardo

EUREKA !!!

Your question about 'quality' low-noise, low-value wire-wound resistors got me thinking.
As you know I am keen to use WW's to banish resistor-noise.
It seems to me the only way forward.

I got out about 200 low-value WW's I have in stock & started to measure them.
They were all 4.7 Ohms ( I liked your idea of 2 in parallel ).
These are 5% tolerance components; the batch I have, seem to be coming up at about 4.8 or 9 Ohms each.
This gives about 2.5 / 2.4 Ohms; about the 2.3 Ohms in 'the Wallace' schematic.

About 5 hours later.....Zzzzz.....
.....I thought.....DIY !!!

Why not just MAKE the resistors !!!

I think I could make a 100% accurate & matched set of source-resistors here on the kitchen-table.
Non-inductively wound on Teflon; potted in resin; and also non-magnetic.
( magnetic stuff seems to worry audiophiles; although I've never known WHY ? )

What you think Ricardo ?
I have no Simplistic at present to try them on...
...If I hand-made a set of source-resistors, would you be interested to test & try them out, if I mailed them to you ?
I also have some 70s' high-precision WW miniature instrumentation potentiometers; which I think might be very good for 2nd stage source-resistors, for accurate gain-setting.

What you think ?
Is 2.3 Ohms the optimum value for 1st stage source-resistors ?
Of course, I know the regular Simplistic is 33R & 39R.

Cheers.

Si.

IIRC, ecdesigns used mobius loops for his IV resistors over at the very long "Building the ultimate NOS DAC using TDA1541A" thread. Search for mobius loop resistor in diyaudio forums and start digging. :) A couple of threads pop up.

In all honesty, we are talking very, very, very minimal effects of inductances at these low values and frequencies. It might concern me if I was building a UHF circuit! :D

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hi Ricardo

What you think Ricardo ?
I have no Simplistic at present to try them on...
...If I hand-made a set of source-resistors, would you be interested to test & try them out, if I mailed them to you ?
I also have some 70s' high-precision WW miniature instrumentation potentiometers; which I think might be very good for 2nd stage source-resistors, for accurate gain-setting.

What you think ?
Is 2.3 Ohms the optimum value for 1st stage source-resistors ?
Of course, I know the regular Simplistic is 33R & 39R.

Cheers.

Si.
Those precision WW pots might be good for that purpose and even for cart load setting... good

Thank you for the offer... I am using 3.9 ohm for Rs in my actual build... it is sounding so good I can not imagine what it would be with some ww Rs :)

In this case minimal size matters.

Let us wait for Salas report and final schematics so we can decide what values we need.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Its windy today but not cold, few weak showers too. I am right on the seashore.
The horns are bit lifted for avoiding interference from the midbass cabs as Lynn Olson said to do and there is 1A bias TSSA SMD and through hole amp by Sonny at Sito we run now and the Baby Huey you saw in the link. Mics checked and in room power evened out.

And the updates? Gone with the wind?