Simplistic NJFET RIAA

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Fighting a slight trouble with hum, I finally got rid of it with the help of some judicious GND arrangements.

It is incredible the difference it makes in overall presentation, detail, stage... superb.

One thing I must stress here... this new 58dB build is really silent.... At full blast I can hardly hear a soft hiss when I place my ears 10cm from the speakers.

Now I must get a propper metal case and start upgrading some components...:)

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
dear Salas,
thanks for the link and for your efforts to modify the RIAA and publish the NAB EQ curve; I am lucky cause 7 1/2 IPS has the same EQ curve just like the 15 IPS that is published in the schematic, only the 30 IPS NAB curve is different to these

Yes, the Ampex papers were showing same repro amp curve for both 7 1/2 & 15 ips speeds.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Not really, I took it to 1800 for when the BF245 went so to have ~22/2 across each buffer JFET for design elegance. That's in conjunction with the IDSS of the lower buffer JFET. If you will be rebuilding component quality and is handy try make the voltage 22V after the resistor with proper value judged in your build. If you will be able to discern anything better it can only be a plus. What it practically does is it equalizes the dissipation on the buffer JFETs.

P.S. Not drain resistor, RC filter resistor for buffer stage.

Hi FET fans !!!

The postman got here from China today ( he looked exhausted ! )...
...with a 'test' of 10 Toshiba K170-BL...
...from eBay seller 'Polida'.

The JFET's were supplied loose, with straight-legs ( as per sellers photo )...
...and the 'typography' on the bodys was also the same 'style' as the eBay photo.

They have 'visible copper' at lead-out & no marking in rear-dimple.

It does look like they may be from several batches...
...as there are some different suffix-suffix's ( eg. after K170-BL ( factory run code )).

They are all within the Toshiba spec. for BL ( blue ) devices ( 6-12mA ).

Here's what I got...

All tested with simple new 9 Volt battery & good-meter...
...left to 'settle' for about 2 mins each.

Can't complain I suppose...
...any thoughts or comments, anyone ?

Cheers

Si.

Space Egg, looks like you have 2sk170.
Check the pinch off voltage.
You need a megohm resistor for this test.
From memory expect the lower Idss to have pinch off near 400 to 500mV and the higher Idss to be around 500mV to 700mV.

http://www.forsselltech.com/media/attachments/JFET_Jig1.pdf
Measure Vgs/Vp (-ve value) when the 18V of the batteries are across the 1M & the jFET.

Instead of an ammeter use 100r and a voltmeter reading to 1.999V for the other tests.

Last edited:
Even SIMPLER ! :)

MASantos...

...Joking aside...( Ha Ha ! )

I have been looking at the 'audio testing' possibilitys.

I think my obssesion level will reach about 101% on this project !!!
So...

Was looking at this...
...There's a thread somewhere, called ' JFET Bride Of Zen '...
...Here's a few versions of what they are messing with...
...Transistor-socket...BINGO...drop 'em in...pull 'em out...!...

Good for 'listening' to capacitors, resistors, WIRE !, chewing-gum foil, etc. etc.

Am thinking to make a 'balanced' something-like-this...
...could be interesting...
...a few component sockets...
...get a shunt-reg made first for decent PSU.

BOOM !

Si.

PS...My main concern with the eBay seller mentioned, is that CLEARLY the JFET's I recieved, are from NUMEROUS different batches, possibly 'left overs' from some kind of 'vague factory matching' somewhere.
At least with the 'ammo-belt' theory, you are getting a 'stream' right off the line.

Question...
...How much 'variation' or 'similaritys' or 'spread' do people who have bought 'ammo-strip' get ?

Salas ? Merlin ? Ricardo ?

Attachments

• lineup_2sk170-jfetboz-1.0a.png
    lineup_2sk170-jfetboz-1.0a.png
    11.4 KB · Views: 254
  • tschrama Buffer 11K input R & 2K2 fb R - Gain 5.5dB 1v out THD 0.015% pure H3.jpg
    tschrama Buffer 11K input R & 2K2 fb R - Gain 5.5dB 1v out THD 0.015% pure H3.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 257
  • n-pass_2sk170-boz_1.png
    n-pass_2sk170-boz_1.png
    8 KB · Views: 260
  • tschrama's Table - Plot.jpg
    tschrama's Table - Plot.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 252