Simplistic NJFET RIAA

Salas Integrated Preamp

I'm in the process of combining 3 of Salas projects into a full featured preamp.
Mesmerize is ready and playing sweet music.
Low MC pre-pre and HiMC phonos are under development.
All three will be housed in the same enclosure. Xformers and main filters in a separate enclosure.

The construction will be dual mono. In my inventory there is a pair of very nice laminated xformers with separate 35-17-12 windings that suit almost perfectly.

I have 2 things that I would like to confirm with you.

- Concerning 0 reference, each module should close the loop between the 2 channels independently ?
Mesmerize does so already. The same should be done with each of the other two ?
If yes, connection to the enclosure (if necessary) from where should be taken ?

-Finalizing the topology of RIAA I see that it might be more convenient to connect R4 after C1 (RIAA). I believe that this is not a problem. Right ?

Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
R4 to C4 or the other way = equivalent.

You can follow Mez's ground logic all the same I guess. Ground ref to chassis (needed for low hum) taken from the output stages 0V side is rather better in this. But as you know with grounding, we can never surely foretell in multiple module assortments... Takes some trials if there is some nuisance in the final build.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
How can layout be the same if one gets MKP1837s and another FT-3s? Its a highly tweaky thingy this phono to carve in stone. If you say ''yeah make it to that standard its balanced enough'' it loses the magic of the few to taste components open loop design that make it suited to one's cart tone etc. That ''my vinyl rig and a glove I made for it'' feeling.

Boxed up my rig this evening. The results are all I hoped for... total silence...except for the music. The kids are in bed so for now I can only listen at low volume, but the sound seems excellent. I used better parts for this build, as well as two chassis and the effort and cost seem well worth it. Thanks again for the help, Evan

maybe the pics this time

Attachments

• DSC01519.jpg
    DSC01519.jpg
    1,006.8 KB · Views: 313
  • DSC01520.jpg
    DSC01520.jpg
    878.5 KB · Views: 304
I changed so many parts from the first build it will be impossible to tell where the differences come from.

I wired ground from the one box to the other using a connector held down by one of the cover screws. This also gets the arm ground. I did not ground the shell of the caps...I didn't notice any difference in the hum when I put a finger to them. Maybe this will have to be addressed if I go for a lower output cart. In the future and implement a mc pre preamp.

What I hear now even at moderate volume is a richer bass as well as improved detail. It also sounds to me , and I know it's an illusion, is that the speakers have moved further apart and the room has gotten bigger....open your eyes when the needle lifts off the record and wham I'm back in my living room.....