Simplistic NJFET RIAA

I had the caps! Paralleled up- ~1400u per channel; Simlic and Muse mix. Listened to a selection of tracks with and without bypass caps connected across R2.

Subjective hat on!

With the caps- a little less bass, as expected. What I also found was a lack of focus. Music was there, but w/o bypass caps I could better tell where instruments/voices were. With the bypass caps, it all seemed to blend together more.

I found with the caps there was little apparent gain in volume than w/o caps. So for now, no caps across R2. Should I give them some time to break in? Would that reduce lack of focus I hear?

I thought I would visit cart loading (R1) again. Up till today, it's been 150R, as I found higher R loads sounded a bit thin in the beginning. Now my Salas RIAA has had ~60 hours of play time to break-in. So I changed R load to 820R.

Sound with 820R is very good, smoother, less shouty vocals (slightly recessed, too). Better space definition of instruments and rhythm. Found myself toe-tapping! It's almost sounding a wee bit analytical. Volume 'seems' about the same.

I will experiment with ~3-500 R load next, in a few weeks. It's loud enough for good listening.

Cheers- Kent

Salas,

I see that you added more to the document, I took a quick look at it.

I recommend that you start using a version tracking schema for the riaa circuit, just like you do for the shunt and follow it. Imagine 30, 50 or 100 pages down this thread, if someone would want to reference a riaa circuit, he is going to say : ... the one posted on post so and so.

When I get a chance I will take a closer look at the new document.

Pete

Hi there
I was searcing for the PDF I have a paper copy of it found a while ago but can not find the link and go back to it

As it is realy good I would like to work from it and be nice if I can post the direct link to it so others may find it as helpfull as I have.

I have tried the "Finale" link but it takes me somewhere else
Help please

Also very handy to have.
Salas Simplistic NJFET Riaa Schematics - diyAudio

Tanks Merlin

Joined 2009
Paid Member
PDF link http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analogue-source/129126-simplistic-njfet-riaa-495.html#post2308275

Hi there
I was searcing for the PDF I have a paper copy of it found a while ago but can not find the link and go back to it

As it is realy good I would like to work from it and be nice if I can post the direct link to it so others may find it as helpfull as I have.

I have tried the "Finale" link but it takes me somewhere else
Help please

Also very handy to have.
Salas Simplistic NJFET Riaa Schematics - diyAudio

Tanks Merlin

Tanks Merlin that is the link I was refering to and the one I used
Just wanted to post the merits where they belong.

I have made a new PCB (the drawing for it as is about 7C in the loft so not going there Today)

Is the almost standard Simplistic board on euro card size.

I have aded same loading for the cart that can be switched off
and few more mosfets at the imput.

Attachments

• Simplistic almost standard020220.PDF
    75 KB · Views: 143
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Tanks Merlin that is the link I was refering to and the one I used
Just wanted to post the merits where they belong.

I have made a new PCB (the drawing for it as is about 7C in the loft so not going there Today)

Is the almost standard Simplistic board on euro card size.

I have aded same loading for the cart that can be switched off
and few more mosfets at the imput.

;)

Joined 2000
Paid Member
What is your raw DC?

None at the moment. I'm just looking for a game plan on how to proceed.
A 15v-0v-15v-0v transformer for each of the Pre-pre's regulators would cover it.
Would use an approriately higher voltage transformer for the MC phono channels.

I'm not crazy about point to point wiring, because so much can go wrong, then finding the problem becomes more difficult. This is why I posed the question as to how many power supplies is enough. Having everything in mono, down to the power cord would be great, but not always possible or worth it.

thanks,

Vince

Last edited: