Simplistic NJFET RIAA

Polysterenes are also very good, RIAA caps important thing is tolerance & accuracy as stated by RCruz. If yours styrenes are 1% surely sounds better than teflons 5% or more tolerance.

I'll be measuring and matching them as my meter can measure capacitance. I intend to match the 5% Teflons up using low-value polystyrenes. Hopefully the Teflons will be here in the next couple of days so I can get on with the build.

I have just read the pdf on the HiMM (great info by the way) and need to check with you about matching the fets.

In the range 8 to 8.5mA:

I have 4 at 8.4mA. So these could be Q1 and Q2 (two for each channel).

I also have 2 at 8.3mA. So these could be Q3.

Finally I have 2 at 8.2mA. These could be Q5.

Have I understood correctly?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Salas,

That is a good evolution for me, because I can build the pre-pre first and test it against my current phono pre, then move on to the MC pre.

Thanks,

Vince

Not a bad plan. Although the complete Simplistic is the business in the end of the day, you can go step by step at your leisure. There is a pre-pre thread also where you can get ideas, as some members had built it on its own too.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analogue-source/188730-2sk170-bl-mc-step-up-amp.html

Listening fun! And... any more gain?

Just a note to say thanks again Salas. I've been listening, listening and listening. Got me hunting for vinyl now!:D Must have picked up 50 LP's in the past 2 months. I can really hear the dynamics of some recordings now. Just listening to Earth Wind and Fire- Praise. It really came alive! Donald Fagen's recordings are also quite lively. Others sound a bit dead by comparison.

One day, I'll get the Salas RIAA in a box!

One question- Is there any way to get a few more db out of the circuit, apart from adding source bypass caps? I built the MC RIAA 8-8.5 idss from your Document version 11.02.F0.

I do have some more matched jfets in the 8.5-10mA idss range. Though I gather the RIAA values would need to recalculated.

If hard to do, I'll leave as-is. I just like running straight w/o a line amp, but could go that route if needed.

Anyway, big thanks again from Berkeley, CA! You got me back into vinyl! :D

-Kent

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Cheers Kent. With the parts quality you used and fine p2p workmanship its a pity to mod it. Use Sowter 9395 autoformer attenuator and utilize its +6 dB gain tap. Two birds with one stone. Best than any resistive pot and your gain there. Has a +12dB gain tap even.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I want to increase the gain +6 dBs, I'm using this schematic without C10 so instead 63dBs I have 57dBs, wich one will be a better solution:

-Partridge 977 1:6 15dBs step up, what I have to do about load resistor? I have to take of 150R from Simplistic & adding a resistor at the ouput of the step up, I don't know how calculate?

-Salas active pre-pre 1:10 20dBs, I don't know hows but I think it need to be modified because will be connected to MC instead a MM and also is the load resistor, I don't know how calculate?

-Make a new active pre-pre for only +6 dBs?

-Using Sowter 9395 autoformer attenuator and utilize its +6 dB gain tap as suggested to Kent?

Attachments

• LowMC63.gif
    LowMC63.gif
    8.2 KB · Views: 330
  • prepre Salas x10 gain.gif
    prepre Salas x10 gain.gif
    2.6 KB · Views: 312
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
What I suggested to Kent was for output volume control straight to his amp along with gain at output. Useless at input side.

For 63dB you make the pre-pre and himc chained together. No individual circuit or pre-pre to 57dB matches. Unless you can compromise to a capacitor bypass on the one you already got.

Thanks Salas and Merlin for the info.

At £134.33 each for the Sowter 9395, it's a bit rich for my frugal budget. It would be a nice all-in-one solution though.

I was going to use the Lightspeed LDR attenuator, as I already have built it.

I will try the 1000u source bypass cap across R2 on Q1 and see how it changes the sound.. I'll need to get a Simlic or Muse at that value.

Cheers- Kent