Simplistic NJFET RIAA

Joined 2006
Paid Member
I am loading the secondary with 47k.

I left room for loading the primary if I need to go lower than the resulting 470ohm (1:10)

After some hours critical listening, I consider this setup quite acceptable.

As I reported before, my intention is to prepare the 48dB riaa so it can be used with a 0.15mV output cart.

I implemented the SUT with 1:10 configuration and Rload on the secondary side (Riaa side) is 47kr that translates to 470 r real cart load on the primary side.

I do not have the special cart to test so I am listening with a 0.8mV output cart.

Tone is quite good. Overall sound is much better than the one resulting by using a cap to bypass Rsource on first stage.

As per my calculations, Voltage at SUT output is 7.6mV for this 0.8mV cart.
As I do not detect any clipping, I believe the 48dB Riaa can successfully be used even with very high output MM carts.

:smash::smash::smash:

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hi Sgregory

I am talking about the ccs over the cascode on the riaa first stage.

In this case current is fixed .... jfet Idss.

My tuning is only about modifying the cap esr and capacitance value.

I am using this thread´s "power" to determine the best possible voicing for this filter.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Salas,
It has been more than a few days, but I finally remembered that I had the cartridge in my briefacse to weigh.

Stock Mounting hardware = 0.6741g
Denon 103R = 8.7520g

measured on a NIST traceable Mettler Lab Scale.

8.5g their advertised net weight spec. At least this one is close. Thanks a lot. Mass figures noted.

Attachments

• dl103r.jpg
    dl103r.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 471
Boozhoundlabs - Le Pacific

I built this because I though the JAN6418 and OPAMP based phono preamps I was using were not giving me the best. This is a huge improvement over the other two.

Constructed on vero-brd. (strip brd.) with all polypropelene capacitors and metal film Rs. Low ESR storage caps (snubbed) and a 10,000uf cap (also snubbed) across the PS fed from a 1ohm 5W R.

Silver solder and wirewrap wire for hookup wire with ferrite beads on all input wires and PS leads. Housed in an embossed gold chocolate box with bitumanised Al foil lining. Currently powered from 3 X 9V lithiums. And sounds absoluty excellent.

This is the boozhoundlabs version of Le Pacific. I like the way he de-couples the PS V+ rail with 10ohm Rs and (in my build) 220uf low ESR caps (snubbed) at each end of the de-coupled rail.

Attachments

• jFETPhonopreampss.jpg
    jFETPhonopreampss.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 355
  • jFETPhonopreamp2ss.jpg
    jFETPhonopreamp2ss.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 340
  • jFETPhonopreamp4ss.jpg
    jFETPhonopreamp4ss.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 341
Last edited:
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hi Salas

should I add a varistor in the input mains just for protection ?

Does the varistor remove switch on thump ?

I have some 10w 420v VDR that I believe could be used in parallel with the input mains.

Hi mhouston.... Would you post the boozhoundlabs schematic ?