Simplistic NJFET RIAA

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Well always you get something & you lost something, all depends what are your needs, but talking inside eletronics & low level signal I abosuletely prefer shielded to avoid EMI & RFI, we are talking about not long wires, for example I'm using the Cardas 2x24ga plus shiled 3mm 45pF foot/30.48cm so input I'm using 5cm (7.38pF) & output 15cm (22.15pF) compared vs interconnexion cables, Tx, chokes, power & something else using wire it's ridiculous speak of amount of capacitance in chassis shielded wires if you use the adequate, benefits to use shileded wire: avoid EMI/RFI, you choose but I have done mine.

Merlin, my 2 meter interconnect from pre to power amp has something like 60pF, if I remember correctly. If you want can check tomorrow.
Best interconnect tried, was one synergistic research a friend of mine brought to my system years ago. The ones you plug them. We could even hear when it was powered and when not, very clearly. I just can' t justify myself to give 1000 Euro for a cable. Not now, at least. I am not saying that unshielded is better, but from what I have, this is what I prefer.
Salas, what thin shield cable do you usually use? I remember saying that once you used Cat5 pairs.

agreed on the capacitance. Never can eliminate it, only minimize it.

vgeorge,
I was just implying that the very faint buzz could be other issues not just the unshielded wires.

P.S. I run the same cardas shielded wire you listed when needed. Particularly on low level stuff in high fields. Sometime I can get away with interconnects that are not shield, other times I cannot depending on location of other sources.

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Merlin, my 2 meter interconnect from pre to power amp has something like 60pF, if I remember correctly. If you want can check tomorrow.
Best interconnect tried, was one synergistic research a friend of mine brought to my system years ago. The ones you plug them. We could even hear when it was powered and when not, very clearly. I just can' t justify myself to give 1000 Euro for a cable. Not now, at least. I am not saying that unshielded is better, but from what I have, this is what I prefer.
Salas, what thin shield cable do you usually use? I remember saying that once you used Cat5 pairs.

Wow 30pF meter is very very low 9.144pF/foot, are you sure the value is correct?

Joined 2009
Paid Member
agreed on the capacitance. Never can eliminate it, only minimize it.

vgeorge,
I was just implying that the very faint buzz could be other issues not just the unshielded wires.

P.S. I run the same cardas shielded wire you listed when needed. Particularly on low level stuff in high fields. Sometime I can get away with interconnects that are not shield, other times I cannot depending on location of other sources.

Yes I saw that you used Cardas also;) for interconnects be care for power cables specially if aren't shielded.:)

Gregory, that' s what I said also. Don' t forget I use a DHT pre. I get noises only by touching the chassis! I will work on it in the future, but I am really happy to be as silent as it is for now. Was expecting more noise. I used a 12b4a before and it was much easier to get it quiet. I know you are building one. With a DCB1 it is dead silent.

found this for free :p, but need a beta tester......

Attachments

• demag.jpg
    demag.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 291
Wow 30pF meter is very very low 9.144pF/foot, are you sure the value is correct?

Merlin, just measured 40pF for the two meters. It is silver foil, teflon insulation and the conductors spaced appart.
Salas, I have lots of rg174 leftovers from other projects. Maybe will try them in the future. Also I will make a short interconnect from a VDH D502 cable I have and see the difference