Simplistic NJFET RIAA

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Having different capacitors in the phono, different TT and cart, amps, loudspeakers and room, and last but not least different individual criteria, will render each one's optimum to just another option for trying, nothing more. Its a never ending hobby, that is its magic and doom. Music is not captured in full like being there in the first place by the recording anyway. Too many mic patterns, monitoring stamps, and arbitrary production decisions destined to be reproduced through idiosyncratic transducers in homes with ten times wider the modal region of a hall.

The V1.2R continues to open up. I stayed up WAY past my bedtime listening to it. that in itself is a good sign. I am curious as to how much it has changed since then.

I preferred the V1.2 over the v1.0 in my system. At the time that was with the Denon 103r. I had noted that the v1.0 was more laid back than the v1.2. With the new power supply, the v1.2 became even more forward, almost too much so.

V1.2r, at it's current point of burn in, is in between. I will do some more critical listening today

Joined 2009
Paid Member
The V1.2R continues to open up. I stayed up WAY past my bedtime listening to it. that in itself is a good sign. I am curious as to how much it has changed since then.

I preferred the V1.2 over the v1.0 in my system. At the time that was with the Denon 103r. I had noted that the v1.0 was more laid back than the v1.2. With the new power supply, the v1.2 became even more forward, almost too much so.

V1.2r, at it's current point of burn in, is in between. I will do some more critical listening today

Your V1.0 was with remote sense? also with V1.2R you have change your psu adding one more Tx that's is a big upgrade, all your regs sharing the same current?

Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
The Vref are EPCOS MKP in bothe V1.2 and v1.2R. Just different values.
As far as current, I can't find it in my notes what the current was on the v1.0. The v1.2R is running 175mA through the CCS.

That is good having the same caps. Only FC terminal remains to evaluate with at a point. Currents around 200mA don't differantiate as much as the vref caps. The termination caps, influence some, but the vref caps more.

Merlin
After a few days I will be pulling the simplistic to the measurement bench. When I do that, I will hook up the power supply to the v1.0 regs and measure the current.

On the v1.2r, what a difference a night makes. The soundstage has returned and no hints of compression that I originally perceived. Percussion in particular has more drive to it. Still a bit more laid back than the v1.2 was in identical conditions, but pleasantly so. It has a very nice balance to it. yLinda Rondstat is absolutely stunning. Al Hirt and Pete Fountain are in their glory.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
On the v1.2r, what a difference a night makes. The soundstage has returned and no hints of compression that I originally perceived. Percussion in particular has more drive to it.

these are also my subjective impressions when comparing v12 and v12r.

All my builds have the same current and the same vref so the differences reside on the output caps and the error amp.

V12 has incredible detail, speed and projects a wide soundstage but in some cases I prefer v12r with the bigger projection of low mids, high lows.

As for V1 ... it adds more weight but looses detail, depending on the EL used.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
these are also my subjective impressions when comparing v12 and v12r.

All my builds have the same current and the same vref so the differences reside on the output caps and the error amp.

V12 has incredible detail, speed and projects a wide soundstage but in some cases I prefer v12r with the bigger projection of low mids, high lows.

As for V1 ... it adds more weight but looses detail, depending on the EL used.

What's "EL" Ricardo?