Simplistic NJFET RIAA

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Now I see it, yesterday many of the pics got lost from host. OK, much better than the very first assembly. Remote sensing later will work towards cutting losses of the shunt to channels power cabling. Did you get the chance to listen more now that we have cleaned the background harmonic noise?

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Yesterday night I listen more, now all solder & components are news so I have to be patient to get full potential of the phono, is really interesting our subjective opinion: first all seems good because we are with the expectative that our project sounds, after when you hear a couple of LP our opinion change & you listen the sound more close like less definition but LP after LP every time sounds better. One important thing to me that I am accustumed to precision metal film resistor like Caddock (used a ot of by Erno Borbely)combined with the tantalums Shinkoh (mine own selection after test with Vishay S102K soun less metalic than Caddock) is the new sound of Takman carbon film combined with mine preferred Shinkoh: is much less aggressive, sibilant, butcher other people will consider that sound is more laid back or soft, as always the rest of our system & our personal taste will be our final choice for resistors, for electrolityc capacitors I haven't changed mine opinion: 1st BG, 2nd Elna Silmic II & after the others.

If you do the one million dollars question about resistors wich be mine final setup?

1st If possible all Shinkoh
2nd Shinkoh combined with Takman carbon film

I never hear the news Charcroft naked Vishays so I can't judge about his sound but the price is very high, possible I will try with specific & critical applications like load or feedback.

Sorry for this brick of subjetivisme.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
If you shoot for best subjective tunings, all Shinkoh I would prefer. Else, Shinkoh for load and 47k, rest bulk foils. No need to be naked, there are a few more ppm normal axial cheaper Vishays. Still costly combinations and not easy to source. You need fix VTA, Rem.sens.(critical for having more detail), not now, when with 2nd reg, channel level matching, substitution for real R1 after matching, run in, then surely you go for specific parts with different evaluation, final data. All the specific Russian caps used are smoothies mind you, though not ''covered''. The Auricap goes that way a bit more. Maybe you would like an Obbligato or Mundorf Supreme there. What is your exact measured value for 16n position? How is it combined with added cap? DL103R is smooth too. We can tweak the 16n for a bit more detail or smoothness feel. Ricardo I am sure will help you much on tunings by the way.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
IMO, kiwame (koa speer) are much more subtly detailed than takman. I also like metal film but not here.

I found that the relative values of the riaa components are more important than the resistor / cap types.

Let me know the real values and after we sort it out we can finetune the other components on the shunt.

I have three builds ... two of them are already finetuned and the sound is powerfull with loads of bass, creating a wide soundstage filled with fine speedy detail.

One of them is beeing tuned right now.... The dificulties are finding the correct values on the market...

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Salas:
I like that you prefer Shinkohs like me. Yes when 2nd reg running I adjust both channel measuring voltage levels, replace mine loveled trimmer R1 for resistor with exact value, also I do the same for 50R trimmer R6 I will replace for resistor with exact value.

About film caps, mine experience said like for eletrolytics caps, more volts better caps independently of trade mark or type, for example I prefer one Auricap 1500V over a Mundorf silver or gold in oil 100V of course both with the same capacitance value.

Salas & Ricardo, RIAA caps:
-16nF is 15n60 Russian + 330pF + 68pF (all silver mica) both channels so only need 2pF that are ordered togheter the Tx
-47nF at this moment only 1 cap silver mica in each channel, Left 46,3nF Right 46,4nF, I ordered more silver mica caps to reach the needed 47nF
-100nF, Left 99,5nF, Right 99,4nF, some ideas to reach the 100nF?

Ricardo asap RIAA resistors values.

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
IMO, kiwame (koa speer) are much more subtly detailed than takman. I also like metal film but not here.

I found that the relative values of the riaa components are more important than the resistor / cap types.

Let me know the real values and after we sort it out we can finetune the other components on the shunt.

I have three builds ... two of them are already finetuned and the sound is powerfull with loads of bass, creating a wide soundstage filled with fine speedy detail.

One of them is beeing tuned right now.... The dificulties are finding the correct values on the market...

I never hear Kiwame so can't judge, several people said that Riken sounds very good but are expensive I never heard them, do you hear the Riken

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Parts Connexion is introducing the new resistor AMTRANS, looks nice:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Parts tell than are superior to Riken....

Yes the components are a world apart & if you want exact values or good components are expensives & difficult to get.

Asap resistors values for RIAA

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Salas & Ricardo, RIAA caps:
-16nF is 15n60 Russian + 330pF + 68pF (all silver mica) both channels so only need 2pF that are ordered togheter the Tx
-47nF at this moment only 1 cap silver mica in each channel, Left 46,3nF Right 46,4nF, I ordered more silver mica caps to reach the needed 47nF
-100nF, Left 99,5nF, Right 99,4nF, some ideas to reach the 100nF?

Ricardo asap RIAA resistors values.

Hmm, with 46.4nF and 46.3nF and Auricap, just disconnect 330pF+2pF from the 15n6 and tell me your opinion.

100nF is just coupling not Riaa and its enough.

Looking for at Swap Meet I have seen a interesting thread selling Toshiba 2SK170V

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/swap-meet/159691-toshiba-2sk170-v-sales.html

Due to the fact that V series have a Idss classification of V: 10-20mA will be perfect for everybody to want do the same simplistic that I have done, gain 63dB@1Khz Low MC 10.5mA Idss:)

That should be good especially for the front end....
But what happens if you sort out some pairs matched for 15 - 16 mA? Isn't too much if they are going to work with 5mA?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Not really, those carts have very low impedance too, and Jfets become more noisy in the lows then. For such very difficult situations its either staying away from such carts or going specialized BJT head amps. Look in Syn08's and Gerhard's threads for more on that.