Simplistic NJFET RIAA

iko

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2008
Don't do v1.5; if you want simple and robust, do v1, otherwise v2r5c, which works better than v1.5 and it's better suited for higher voltages. Today I tested v2r5c with a brutal square wave load. Did well. It would be interesting if a good gyrator/cap multiplier would be a nice addition before the shunt, for a phono stage.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
0.5mV as footnoted on the circuits posted. Can work good up to 0.8mV for your Clearaudio Goldfinger second fiddle cart cheapy, going from 0.025% THD to about 0.04% Rather loud but still OK.

With Benz ACE red around 0.4mV works too. With lower cart you start to feel you need extra gain. At least in systems with not too much line preamp gain.

The gain I have set for each version was compared to typical CDP output at same volume level, no much less so to luck, not more so to shout and also to save on second stage distortion. Not in mV, but by playing cds and records.

The MM version's gain is good for 3-5mV. The Medium's for 1-2mV, the Normal MC's for 0.4-0.5mV. The Low MC's (either with 1st stage's Rs bypass or the latest post with 4 njfets and high B+) good for 0.2-0.3mV.

I hope I give you the sum picture.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hi Salas

My new toys are two VTL 160 made by Manley. Manley_160Watt_Amplifier

I am considering building a buffer to place between them and the riaa so I can get volume control.

As a matter of fact I already built two pedja buffers and have the 50k pot and my idea is: 1st Riaa, 2nd pot, 3rd buffer, 4th tube amps.

It feels a little strange to place more caps in the signal path so I am wondering if I can place the pot directly inside the riaa (just before the output buffer)... can it be done without messing with the riaa values ?

Ricardo

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
After the second stage whatever you do, it does not mess the Riaa. With 750mV sensitivity of the Manley, a buffered volume pot isn't a bad idea. You would have to pass DC through your pot though, because the second stage biases the Simplistic's output buffer. Can be scratchy and short lived. I would just delete the existing buffer, move the existing output cap to the 2nd stage out, then add the pot and drive the external buffer.