Simplistic NJFET RIAA

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Tham said:
With random parts tonally it is a little thin in the midrange that I hope to improve on using good components. Bass is tight and tuneful and quite extended while high is crystal clear because of the very low noise level and never harsh even with the new supertweeter not optimally integrated.

The thinner than natural mid tone is due to the generic resistors and caps. Try to get Shinkoh, and experiment with enough alternative 1000uF Rs bypass caps. I recommend Nichicon Muse NP bypassed with TRT teflon or FT-2. For output Auricap or Obbligato gold. But everything will play roles. After you end up it will be hard to beat. I know how it goes from generic to golden tuned in a revealing system. Brace yourself.:D

I will try bypassing with 1000uF Pana FM that I have now...the Rubycon ZL are always very clear but can sound a little thin.

I can get Kimawe or TKH resistor locally but maybe not all the values required. Can get Dale from Farnell/RS though if they are good enough.

Any recommended source for the other caps and Shinkoh resistor?

Recently I replaced fore mentioned cap combination with Nichicon KG gold tune 4700/63 but there was no further improvement. Lil' bit of overkill ;)

A pic of the old Lenco put in action again after collecting dust in the attic. The arm is from a garbage find Sony TT which seems to combine nicely with the Stanton 881S.

Attachments

• recordplayer.jpg
    recordplayer.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 920
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Tham said:
Did the Pana FM swap and letting it to run in a bit...while the ZL sounded cleaner and colder, the FM sounded warm with more weight at the bottom end. Will report back after it settled in properly.

Sometimes a synergistic for tone combination of a 100nF PP cap across the lytic gives best of both worlds. It takes experimentation.

Salas said:
A very retro cool pic!! I like it. Did you get improvements with this set up over your last one? Enjoying less sibilance etc?
Thank you. It's true DIY :)

As you mentioned sibilance depends largely on setup -which is in progress- but it's better than before. Even with this after market needle the 881s is indeed a fine cartridge, although a little noisy. On two meters distance I can hear high pitched sounds arrive ahead of the loudspeakers. A thin felt isolation and tightning the headshell screws gave some improvement but still...

Next will be some experiments with Ortofon M20 moving iron, Yamaha CG6500, Yamaha MC-9, Piezo YM308 and an ADC ZLM.

Tell me if we succeeded with the new values, so to know there is not something else going wrong when you finish. Then you tell us more about system and sound.

The new values were successful. Although I have built this RIAA amplifier with cheap standard components and transistors with wrong idss, the sound is considerably better than cd. It sounds so good that I consider to obtain the recomended components just to discover what´s more to retrieve. The rest of my system consists of DIY F5, Lynn Ohlsons Ariels and a Marantz CD 6000 / DAC based on CS 4397.

Regards

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Congratulations!:) Very nice amp and wise speakers. Without correct speakers like those you have you can't judge well any device ahead. Any photo of the Simplistic phono preamp?

You did not tell us about your TT by the way except the DL103.

P.S. The special values I created for your GR JFETs are OK and your circuit is analogous to the BL circuits, only with a tad more 2nd harmonic since we could not degenerate the GRs as much as the BLs. But since it is OK for tone, don't change the JFEts or the values. You can freely play with components quality of course.;)