Simplistic NJFET RIAA

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Ricardo, I have a mod 4U to try. Instead of just D1, can you use a 3.9V-4.3V Zener plus two or three Leds until you reach about 7.5V on the Cascode transistor base? If yes, tell me if you can hear lower noise or different tone. I don't have this version handy to mod myself, but I wanna know.

Attachments

• z&led.gif
    z&led.gif
    2.7 KB · Views: 728
Joined 2006
Paid Member
nicoch46 said:
Ricardo if you have spare caps you can tray kg-R-Jensen on psu....
Hi nicoch46
I did think about it but I do not know if it is needed anymore. The hum is field generated and it is my present focus. :wrench:

Sound is becoming real magical with the present setup...:hypno2:

Hi Salas

Regarding D1 mod, I use only leds in my 317 based sregs.... Can I do the same here and loose the zener ?

If I must use a zener, can I use two in paralell ? (This tech reduces noise in the sregs).

Ricardo

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I just put the base voltage of a small Zener in the Vref string there bcs its equivalent almost to a led, so to avoid using many LEDS. But if practically does not bother you, do it all LEDs. Just trim to around 7.5V total. Green or red are OK. The thing is capacitor bypassed, but bcs 6.5-9V is not a best region for Zeners, I wanna see if some noise still escapes. Up to 4V7 Zener must not scare you, or above 12V.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
The schematic I am using (Gain 46db for medium MC ~1mv) indicates D1 = 1N4738A (8.2v zener), so I am a little confused.... why use 7.5v instead ?

Also I do not understand the frase : "Up to 4V7 Zener must not scare you, or above 12V." Do you mean zeners generate max noise from 6 to 9 v so 12 volts is ok ?

Sorry for the nube questions but I need to know.

Ricardo

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
RCruz said:

Do you mean zeners generate max noise from 6 to 9 v so 12 volts is ok ?
Ricardo

Yes.

The 8V2Z is bypassed by a capacitor. Generically its noisier than Zeners under 6V or 12 and over. We did not have noise, but lets see if some escapes the bypass.
7.5V I slightly prefer for THD in first stage maybe. And it can be done with LEDs.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Don't matter the sequence, put them as you like. They add up their residual noise in a less than linear total anyway they are put. Eager to hear what you hear.:clown: But don't press yourself to hear a difference.

*In Nicoch shunt there is 46V out so the Voltage across the BJT is high and it nears thermal max with the stronger than a resistor load CCS current. That is why he sinks it.