Simplistic NJFET RIAA

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
massimo said:
As far as tubes are concernd, I won't use an 12AX7 (not even a rare version) as I consider its sound not the very best.
Why not try other hi mu tubes such as ECC8010 or the much less expensive EC86? Or even a triode connected D3a.

I know, but I don't have any of those more linear alternatives...So if I do a test I will use what I have on hand. If it shows potential, I can look for alternatives and modify a couple of values. No worries.;)

iko

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2008
salas said:
Those caps I will shortly try for interstage coupling. May be cool.

I'm using those for about two days already, each in parallel with a k40y-9. Sadly I don't have another good preamp to compare with. To me the whole thing sounds :eek: very good. I do any critical listening on the monitor headphones where any nastiness can be heard. I got enough k40y-9 an ft-3 caps to use in every interstage and ouput coupling as well (in the headphone tube amp) and they seem to sweeten the sound a bit.

I'm asking myself now, why should I build a tube phono stage, since your jfet design works so well... but I guess I'm crazy enough to do it just so, maybe it'll be better? Hence, I'm curious about your design, salas.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Well, I don't think that it is easy to beat the Simplistic especially in value and easy to make terms. Any decent valve attempt will cost much much more, and for MC a step up stage is needed. If it is active it needs expert built, if it is a trafo, $$$ and to be incorporated inside main box. The NJFET already beat the Bench which was one of the best, better than Thorsten's grid leak... My tube idea is well...just an another idea, can prove easily mediocre. It will be done for the fun of DIY and to satisfy curiosity. There is no real reason behind it, other than caring for the homeless tubes... :bawling:

iko

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2008
salas said:
Well, I don't think that it is easy to beat the Simplistic especially in value and easy to make terms. Any decent valve attempt will cost much much more, and for MC a step up stage is needed. If it is active it needs expert built, if it is a trafo, $$$ and to be incorporated inside main box. The NJFET already beat the Bench which was one of the best, better than Thorsten's grid leak... My tube idea is well...just an another idea, can prove easily mediocre. It will be done for the fun of DIY and to satisfy curiosity. There is no real reason behind it, other than caring for the homeless tubes... :bawling:

Cost would not be an issue, I've got quite a few homeless tubes myself. Before the fet project, I was just about to build the Gary Pimm phono, so I have all the tubes for that.

Of course, for the fun of it, why not?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
P.S. You do have MM so you will not need an extra step up stage. Hmmm even easier. Now that I think about it, it is not that complex for a tube phono. Well, not simplistic, but simple enough. :cool: But if it proves a turd, don't blame me, its just an idea, I haven't made it yet.:angel:

iko

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2008
salas said:
P.S. You do have MM so you will not need an extra step up stage. Hmmm even easier. Now that I think about it, it is not that complex for a tube phono. Well, not simplistic, but simple enough. :cool: But if it proves a turd, don't blame me, its just an idea, I haven't made it yet.:angel:

Though it may be foolish for me to put extra effort next into another phono stage, when my weakest link in the system is the power amp. Now that I really need something better.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
ikoflexer said:

Though it may be foolish for me to put extra effort next into another phono stage, when my weakest link in the system is the power amp. Now that I really need something better.

No problem. :D I will dream of a circuit over the weekend and start another off topic for a ''Simplistic Power Amp''.:smash:

Seriously now, I would go for a pass F5 if in your shoes and my speakers allowed.

iko

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2008
salas said:

No problem. :D I will dream of a circuit over the weekend and start another off topic for a ''Simplistic Power Amp''.:smash:

Seriously now, I would go for a pass F5 if in your shoes and my speakers allowed.

The F5 is an attractive idea. However I see that the 3rd harmonic dominates distortion already at 1W, probably because of the push-pull design.

Well, if your simplistic power amp would achieve 2nd harmonic domination at the same level of distortion as the F5 :D .... I'm looking forward to see what you have in mind.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
ikoflexer said:

The F5 is an attractive idea. However I see that the 3rd harmonic dominates distortion already at 1W, probably because of the push-pull design.

Well, if your simplistic power amp would achieve 2nd harmonic domination at the same level of distortion as the F5 :D .... I'm looking forward to see what you have in mind.

I have nothing in mind. I can think about some ideas, but I would not suggest a power amp that I haven't made yet, bcs the costs and effort aren't funny anymore...
On the other hand my KT88 push pull with 12AY7 input and 12AT7 splitter with cascode CCS tail drain has 2nd dominant. But is only 20W triode.