Simplistic NJFET RIAA

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Now the back of the beast... tapping it with a finger results in some resonance.. hope there is no microphony.

Attachments

• p1010011 (medium).jpg
    p1010011 (medium).jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 670
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I would bypass the mundorf with such a PIO if I would feel any remaining hardness after burn in. Keep in mind that the mica cap and the Mundorf burn in a bit longer in time than the PIO. In geneal don't change any components before you clock 48 hours of play. The shunt breaks in too. Leave the system on at all times during those initial 48 hours. Only change your load resistor if you have to. What you ended up for load on another phono it may change with this phono.
Wishes for a non problematic first audition.:xfingers:

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
RCruz said:
Now the back of the beast... tapping it with a finger results in some resonance.. hope there is no microphony.

Its the case, not the element. You can bathe it in hot melt later when burned in and you will be familiar enough. Then you can positively say if the silicone glue damping helped or not. Let us know.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Don't know about Mundorf VS Sonic, you have to make your comparisons at your leisure I guess.

And if all those super cheap capacitors worked for so many people in this thread, avoiding very high costs if with brand name audio caps, I guess that they will work a treat for you too.

Thank Soyuz Sovetskikh Sotsialisticheskikh Respublik for its contribution here.:D

Attachments

• cccp-3.jpg
    cccp-3.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 825
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Now the pictures.... sorry for the bad quality.

Overview.. (Do not mind the case ! It was borrowed from another project called "reviving the Aiwa tape dack")

After two records it is already walking over the Meridian... Bass speed is very good indeed !!!

Attachments

• p1010011work (medium).jpg
    p1010011work (medium).jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 819
Joined 2006
Paid Member
A closer view of the MSR.... (Mighty Salas Riaa):D

There is a lot less compression, the instruments are more individualized, soundstage is good and there is a lot more detail.

I hear previously hidden parts of the recordings with great detail.

Highs (guitar chords, metal platters in the drums) are now becoming very strong and detailed (lifelike).

All this after 1/2 hour playing.

Attachments

• p1010012 (medium).jpg
    p1010012 (medium).jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 787
:D good work !

now tray to bypass the pre ,you need a decent pot ...alps suck, at low level there is 3-6db tracking error beetwin channel and some THD for delicate mechanical contact

order the cheap optivol from ska-amp ,change the two series resistor with tantalium ,a lot better then normal pot

PS
I will came back with my shunt ,after solved my family problem....

Ricardo-

I run straight in. Still don't have a volume control- so listening is limited to daytime. I believe you have the output buffer so it should work well straight into an amp.

I intend to build one of those ldr attenuators (lightspeed thread); I might need to buffer it's output... Straight in, mine is about as loud as I need. But YMMV...

-Kent

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
RCruz said:

Hi nicoch46

Excuse my ignorance but what is a JC buffer ?

Ricardo

Means a John Curl buffer. But your RIAA is already buffered so it will not lose from its own gain. And a further buffer after the pot will not add gain either. It may interface the pot nicer, but that is all. The main thing is if you get enough drive for your habits to the main amps, speaker, room, system.