Simplistic NJFET RIAA

Hi salas,

I would like to build your phono preamp but he thread has grown.. and reading through it makes me uncertain which schematic should I follow.

I'm intersted to the high gain version ( my cartridge is at the 0,3 mV ballamrk ) but what finally is your suggestion

- with or without cascoding ?
- shunt regulator with or without leds ? (where does the sound of batterries stand compared to the shunt ?)

Thank you in advance for your help,
Marinos

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Use my post #110 (if you have more than 50k line in, else add a buffer), plus Led shunt.
Batteries are no good in general, even not as good as a decent series reg. You will see I used them as a test PSU when I was developing the Riaa on those earlier posts. This particular shunt is something you wanna listen to. Give it a go.

Man i'm struggling here, i think i told You all, that i'm no expert, but usually i can manage.
But this one's killing me. I have made a PCB, and to my eyes, there's no errors. Is there anybody here, who would look at it and tell me what i've done wrong ?
I'm sure i have, i just can't see it after staring for hours, and comparing with schematic.

Best regards
Ebbe

Schematic:

Attachments

• shunt-schema.pdf
    15.3 KB · Views: 381
salas said:
Maybe you mean Steve Bench? I haven't compared much, but I would say 95% the same. Only the tube one is much costlier and needs much more work.

Yes SB was for Steve Bench.

Could you please give your opinion about how your phono sounds on complex music passages? (rock, cuban big bands,...)

I have constructed Pacific (original + most variations published on net) and when things got complicated didn't sound any good.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I don't know I never did the Pacific, and this one is developed without that in mind with some quite different basic decisions. In complex passages it never gave me any concern. There are also people in this thread that built mine with experience in listening and good systems that did not say anything about such problems. You should check it out yourself I guess and see. The shunt PSU sounds solid and smooth and big non the less, and that should help.

Hi salas,

Thanks for the reply.

The schematic for the the led shunt is as post 336 ?

If yes, I think that I need your help to bring it to 36V.
Also is there any more readily available substitute for the k170s. I don't have so many of them and it seems you use them everywhere... ;)

My line stage's input is at 47K do you think I need the buffer ?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Marinos said:
Hi salas,

Thanks for the reply.

The schematic for the the led shunt is as post 336 ?

If yes, I think that I need your help to bring it to 36V.
Also is there any more readily available substitute for the k170s. I don't have so many of them and it seems you use them everywhere... ;)

My line stage's input is at 47K do you think I need the buffer ?

Here you are. Don't go over 43VDC in, the left hand 2SK170 has 38V across already. 40V is its max.:hot:

No, you will not really need a buffer. If you notice some strain, add one. Jonners added one and said it was transparent. He has OB speakers and he is experienced.

Attachments

• ls36v.gif
    ls36v.gif
    7 KB · Views: 1,157