Simplistic NJFET RIAA

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi Lee,

Nice that your components thing is picking up.:) Wishing you best of progress.

I don't know how it might sound with other regulators. My experience is that my simple one worked straightaway without any problems and sounds fab together with the RIAA. Keeps up with the simple no loop feedback with few FET family components theme at least. Very DIY friendly. Tried and tested. Maybe in the near future you wanna try something more evolved but on the same concept. Just when you feel like chasing some possible additional performance. I would do what wrenchone proposed at page#13, post#314 at that point.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hi Lee

It is very encouraging to hear about your growing bizz ;)

I am convinced this Riaa will be a major improvement over my present setup, so I am willing to wait untill things settle and get functional;)

Thank you Salas

I agree with you regarding the regs output caps.... I have just replaced the after regs caps on my Meridian 101 with BG FK 470u and the results are incredible....

Ricardo

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Today late, a friend of mine put together on perfboard and tried the Vbe shunt. He called to rave about how well it works with the Riaa. He mentioned that before he finally started listening to it, he got distracted and connected the +V/earth cables from PSU to Riaa the other way around! It stayed as such for a whole minute, pulled down to half the nominal PSU voltage. Guess what. The PSU and Riaa survived that with no injuries. DIY friendly indeed.

Hmm, i made two Pcb's for the Riaa and the shunt, but it's done in "Diptrace", and i converted them to Pdf.
I have VERY little experience in making Pcb's, so maybe the layout isn't at it's best.
Don't know if it's at any use to You guys, but here they come.
First the component side of the Riaa.

Attachments

• riaa-top.pdf
    32.9 KB · Views: 495
I'm afraid i goofed up on the PSU. There should be room for a piece af alu on Q1, and a sink on Q4. At least the pieces i have sitting around here.
But... I forgot to make room for C4. I didn't have the footprint for such a big capacitor, so i meant to manually make space for one.:cannotbe:
Yes, i should have mentioned, i used the 40dB for Denon 110 & 160.

Seems i better start over again, i did warn you, i'm not too experienced. :clown:

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Wondering what is wrong with good old point to point, silver solder, and rosin box dipping though...What? Elvis is not alive? 2008? Horrors!:clown:

DSCF1507.jpg

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hi Salas

Nothing wrong with "good old point to point with silver solder"

The majority of the psu´s and sregs I built are done just like that but you must agree that a well designed pcb is much easyer to build by any unexperienced person.

And there are the looks... take a look at my DOS :worship:

Ricardo

Attachments

• p1010048 (small).jpg
    p1010048 (small).jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 1,421
Joined 2006
Paid Member
nicoch46 said:
HI Ricardo

amp32-ps
amp11
truepath

the amp 11 is nice ,dual mono , smd,two separate chip driver-power,single rail, the problem are solder the chip! damn small !!!
and the copper are thick ,solved with hair phono(pre heat)
with this one I use a Meanwell smtp

Hi nicoch

Can you post a link with some details ?

I can not solder smd but I am interested in the technology... is it a class D amp ?

Ricardo