Simplistic NJFET RIAA - Page 991 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd July 2013, 10:17 PM   #9901
diyAudio Member

I have now made a rather ugly box for the riia to be shielded when I mount it in the turntable. Problem is that I have grounded and placed it so its really quiet already. And I got an ortofon rondo bronze. So Im spending too much spare time buying records and listening. Shame.

This riia is properly good!
Old 3rd July 2013, 07:03 AM   #9902
RCruz is offline RCruz  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Once more the effect of cap bypassing in the output of v12r shunt.

Just finished finetuning a new v12r build for a folded cascode and I can report that a small value SM or styroflex bypassing the output zobel cap can be determinant in the final sound presentation.

I am using a 4u7 cap in the zobel and bypassing it with 100pF styroflex can enhance high frequency perception (bigger soundstage presentation, better delineation in the bass)

I found 100pF to be slightly too much (splashy sound in drum metals) so I reduced it to 22pF.... Quite a good blend.
Old 4th July 2013, 11:09 AM   #9903
ide2003 is offline ide2003  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salas View Post
You would not be able to have another core type so close in same box with such low harmonic noise. There is some residual but its low. Just let us know if all went well in the listening. Play some of your loud records too.
Turns out I'm worried too much on noise, on my 90dB speaker heard only familiar noise from Aikido pre amp he he.

First impressions with Diana Krall's the very best, less constrained than opamp pre (finally..), some 30cm wider & taller staging, improvement in depth as well. More weight on her voice. Need to solve, speed (Frim fram sauce..), bit more emphasis on details, and I think heard some clipping ;(.

in all very worthy build, another smiling client here Salas, thank you
any tips for improvements appreciated from you guys

best
Old 4th July 2013, 12:25 PM   #9904
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Congrats. Listen to more records so to make sure if it was clipping or mistracking. If it was clipping, just get a 15+15V 30VA R-Core whenever you can so to wire its secondaries in series restoring to spec 28V B+ and have proper margin for the regulator. When the transformer and box will be final, shorten its wiring to minimum. Otherwise you got quite a small pcb space so to upgrade in interstage and output capacitor quality. If you like the tonal quality now don't touch those anyway.
Old 4th July 2013, 01:39 PM   #9905
diyAudio Member

thanks, I did intent to play with output & interstage caps, now using erofoli 4.7uF on output and 0.1uF wima mks. Does the quality on 47nF and 15.33nF matter much? quite a pain finding this value.

I think resistors are good enough. Like your last PTP, I also use philips resistors when I can , still have 100R shinkoh tantalum, now using salvaged caddock
Old 4th July 2013, 01:57 PM   #9906
hates ground loops
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ide2003 View Post
Does the quality on 47nF and 15.33nF matter much? quite a pain finding this value.
I'd say at least somewhat. Best to make them up out of paralleled capacitors of known/measured capacitance.

See http://www.waynekirkwood.com/Images/...ap_Sound_3.pdf (pdf alert!) for some input.
Old 4th July 2013, 02:02 PM   #9907
diyAudio Member

Thank you Dave, this was from electronic world yes?, neat
I did match them to 15.33 nF, and 15.30 nF , don't feel to do rematch again. but the 47nF is free for experiment
Old 4th July 2013, 03:51 PM   #9908
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Changing your 0.1uF MKS interstage to MKP flm & foil like Vishay 1837 keeps small and may prove audible. Quality electrolytics too. But its also about synergistic tonal blend beyond resolution, sometimes lower quality parts can strike a fortunate tone with the rest and the system. If making partial exchanges keep subjective notes so to can revert. Start only after you are well familiar with what you got and its electrolytics have worked to reformation.
Old 5th July 2013, 06:11 AM   #9909
diyAudio Member

You read my mind, I did change wima to vishay 1837 as per your last PTP built, audible it is, better clarity and nice extended decay. Still have bulky russian K75-10 for that position to try, it will wait until my riaa settles
Old 22nd July 2013, 05:08 PM   #9910
diyAudio Member

Another update,
R load 22k, was 47k, cartridge sumiko black pearl mm
B+ now at 33V, dialing to minimum odd harmonics, wow...what an experience
familiar LP's like hearing the first time, every time..and much better

Hide this!Advertise here!