Simplistic NJFET RIAA - Page 956 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th March 2013, 09:22 PM   #9551
RCruz is offline RCruz  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salas View Post
Use BF245A in Vref or 2SK117GR, catches up faster.
Super cool.... what about noise ?
Old 27th March 2013, 09:30 PM   #9552
Salas is online now Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

They are still adequate with 2SK117GR bit better.
Old 27th March 2013, 10:25 PM   #9553
RCruz is offline RCruz  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salas View Post
They are still adequate with 2SK117GR bit better.
I have some of those.... 3.7 mA Idss average.... Maybe I can just replace the k170 and trim Id accordingly without major cirurgy
Old 29th March 2013, 12:03 PM   #9554
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzforb View Post
Siemens Ks in exact values. Reasonable price and very well regarded polystyrenes, mostly due to tight winding and superior quality control. Or so i have heard. I will focus my playing with the output cap.

As you know, I very much like your philosophy. Not trying to improve anything. Just tweaking to my ears, as these designs seem well suited for.
Fascinating discussion eventualy I will start on this In the mean time from mentioning the Siemens KS I have found this link
Audio - My way: THE CONDENSER, A SOUND-DETERMINING ELEMENT (ang)
and This
http://www.laventure.net/tourist/caps.htm

Please do carry on

Last edited by Bksabath; 29th March 2013 at 12:07 PM.
Old 29th March 2013, 12:30 PM   #9555
diyAudio Member

Thanks Bk. If you get around to the Folded Simplistic, you will enjoy the cap topic. I am picking my RIAA caps for stability and precision, but the coupling caps are where things get interesting. I have had three different caps in the folded and they all have distinct flavor. I wont say sound for fear of being stoned, but will agrre that each "distorts" the sound in its own special way. I bought the MPP R3, but built this first. It sounds good enough to me that I have absolutely no desire to build another and find myself having trouble getting motivated to finish the MPP, despite the positive reviews. I will build the 369 version of the folded next and that is where more cap rolling will happen. I have Russian Teflons, Russian PIO, larger value SIO, Clarity MR, and Obbbligato Gold and Oil. If I could describe this phono, I would say it is a tweakers(caps) dream. The base Salas has given us is solid and has stunning performance. The ability to tweak the sound with caps is just a bonus.
Old 29th March 2013, 02:48 PM   #9556
diyAudio Member

You welcome buzz.

I had Salas Simplistic running for a bit and now Paradise R2
As Salas said a while ago Pear and Orranges
Simplistic wuld not let me play same poorly recorded material Paradise R2 does not have the stage width and depth of the Simplistic. both do other things realy well

(Those purely personal opinions and based on my listening enviroment and set up whit the component choices I have made. if you want to stone me you welcome to try.)

I am anghing back with the R3 boards as well because I think that there is much more to be had out of the Paradise.

The folded is definetley my next project. I am listening, so please do carry on.
And Tankyou
Old 29th March 2013, 03:13 PM   #9557
diyAudio Member

Bksabath,
Completely OT. Sorry Salas. I was not a big fan of F5. F5T is better amp in everyway for me. Not saying its is the diodes, as I think it probably has more to do with multiple pairs. Being one who believes in system synergy, I think i found a killer combo. I recently purchased an M Audio 192, mainly for balanced distortion testing. Just for hoots, I hooked up F5T directly to card, using puter with JRiver upsampling all recordings to 24/192 output. WOW! Completely changed the sound of the system. If you like F5. You gotta try direct out from this card(AKM Dac)
Old 29th March 2013, 06:50 PM   #9558
diyAudio Member

Sorry OT
I like the idea of F5T after all one don't like to have car that does 50 MPH top and run all the time with pedal to the metal
soon ........(I said that one year ago) I am going to change my twin F5 to to balanced F5 triple. then maybe a Turbo with 50 V rails. But when? I got to get source sorted first and that for me is Vinyl original prints pre digital deffffffffffffffffo
I am not going to get in to digital argument I got Iplod and listen to SD card while I drive

Sorry about missing out telling you about Audiophile 192 I have one and it will not go over 96 .

And for testing 50 Hz at -80 dB is the best I can get maybe mother board messing things up
Same external cards for same price point can do better

Soundcard performance - realistic?
Old 29th March 2013, 07:35 PM   #9559
diyAudio Member

After hearing Folded, I am new vinyl guy, but digital can sound good too. I am getting better numbers than that. Bout to test F6, so ill put some numbers up in that thread.
Old 30th March 2013, 04:41 PM   #9560
Salas is online now Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bksabath View Post
The folded is definetley my next project. I am listening, so please do carry on.
And Tankyou
Try it with 2X389BL also Sandro. Will give you much gain if you feel needing it and still remain low noise enough. Expect it quite better than the previous simplistic you had.

Hide this!Advertise here!