Simplistic NJFET RIAA

I've got it combined with an old Lenco I've restored / upgraded over the last year and an AT VM95ML. I'm looking at MC carts a bit recently, the thought to try something new there is tempting.

They are big caps, haha, they must be better surely? I had great fun with that package coming from the UK into Europe after the first days of Brexit...

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
The 400V CMR version fits C4 silkscreen width marks better than the 630V you have. But you also had side space by using the smaller Mundorf EVO SG for C3 nextdoor. 630V CMR can only be little better due to thicker film than its 400V version if there's any subjective difference.

Pure luck on the sizing working as I didn't think to measure! Although I have a recollection on seeing a similar Mundorf / Clarity combination here (probably the 400 then). I have a feeling that the 400 was out of stock when I was placing an order just after Christmas and that's how I ended up with the larger.

Hificollective were very helpful and went out of their way to help me fix my post Brexit import nightmare. They've great people to buy things from.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Good evening!
question: The sockets for Q1 / Q2 are recommended for the possibility to remove them when swapping cartridges?
Same for C2y?

Building this is a challenge of its own (the air is thinner in these realms, the expectations high, I love it! :) )

I dropped the sockets and several C2Y values in the second shipment of kits.
It was considered earlier if not using both Q1-Q2 is leaving the extra jfet would cause issues, it does not. I would stash them away for a rainy day.
C2Y section collects I still send, and I recommend trying all values provided in current kits, 150,220, 330pf. Most settle for 220pf.

Last edited:
Joined 2017
Paid Member
:up: Perfect, thank you, Tea-Bag!

IMG_0818.png

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Miflex KPAL is even bigger.

Another Paper and Oil cap I have tried for C4 is the Rike S-Cap. I have had these around for a number of years, and spent a lot of time in the legacy folded.
This one is much more reasonable size.

In some further sounds testing with with caps -

The Rike sounds more rubbery, bouncy, not at all dry or boring, especially when coupled with a K42 or KPAL .1. Not realistic, but a big change up from most poly caps. I can see some wanting this on a big collection of harsh recordings. It is fun to listen to.

Using Miflex KPAL in C3-C4 takes a little off the edge music, but is much closer to the Clarity CMR than other PIO caps. Adding a copper C3 in my case Miflex KPCU (strongest) or KPFM was quite transparent and wide soundstage but both added a body that seemed a little strong in my system. I am beginning to think I seek a neutral sounding capacitor, or just like lean sound more.

Attachments

• image (19).jpg
    image (19).jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 403
  • image (20).jpg
    image (20).jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 395
Joined 2017
Paid Member
Looks pregnant :D

Like, 11th month... [emoji1787]

Miflex KPAL is even bigger.

Another Paper and Oil cap I have tried for C4 is the Rike S-Cap. I have had these around for a number of years, and spent a lot of time in the legacy folded.
This one is much more reasonable size.

In some further sounds testing with with caps -

Oh yeah, biggies they are! The clarity’s in the box aren’t the C4 I hope?

This is my first journey with a project that has such a focus on quality parts, precision and not least exotic caps. It may take a while until I feel reasonably safe to make comments more elaborate than aaah and oooh.

Up to here, it’s a pleasure to do stuff like that, and I owe you both a big thankyou!

david

Last edited:
Joined 2017
Paid Member
Very late follow-up

I know this isn't very appropriate, but...

back then, I asked about how many wires are required for the umbilical connection between the UFSP and its power-supply.

4 and a shield you said...

4 and a shield.

Two sets of +/- and shield for chassis.

As 6L6 knows (if you recollect from the f4 thread) I'm prone to get it wrong by trying to follow everything to the letter :D, so just to make sure I won't bungle again:

Can I use the connectors themselves as shield (connecting both chassis with either a fifth wire or a copper-shield around the wire)?

Both the parts for the [4 connectors+plug/shield] or the [5 connectors] are available. But I am unsure wether the 4+1 is a stupid thing to do, as it seems to be so darn simple...

many thanks!
david

Joined 2006
Paid Member
I know this isn't very appropriate, but...

back then, I asked about how many wires are required for the umbilical connection between the UFSP and its power-supply.

4 and a shield you said...

As 6L6 knows (if you recollect from the f4 thread) I'm prone to get it wrong by trying to follow everything to the letter :D, so just to make sure I won't bungle again:

Can I use the connectors themselves as shield (connecting both chassis with either a fifth wire or a copper-shield around the wire)?

Both the parts for the [4 connectors+plug/shield] or the [5 connectors] are available. But I am unsure wether the 4+1 is a stupid thing to do, as it seems to be so darn simple...

many thanks!
david

I have used both 4 and 5 connector setups, using the 5th for ground only. It does not make a difference in my setups, from a noise perspective.
I do use shielded wire on the umbillical, and connect the shielded end to one side.
The RIAA box, the ground part of board connects to ground lug terminal for tonearm, and the ground also connects back to each side of the power supply.

Tea beat me to it... but here's a picture. The other end (I marked with a short section of green shrinktube you can see) has the shield connected and plugs into the PSU. On the preamp i've played with isolated tonearm ground connection and non-isolated. In my setup having the tonearm connection non-isolated and connected to preamp chassis is silent. Belden 1192A star quad—4 conductor + shield.

Attachments

• Salas-Phono-Umbilical.jpg
    Salas-Phono-Umbilical.jpg
    278.9 KB · Views: 322