Simplistic NJFET RIAA

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
It wasn't harsh on my headphones (Sennheiser HD 600). Buddy Holly part of your track wasn't sibilant for example. I replayed it both with Foobar and Wavelab to make sure. Maybe your speakers prefer a heavier source sound? Try 100 Ohm cart load. Or change VTA on the arm if you got an aftermarket way with RB300.

Did check VTA adjustment, seems correct, tube BIAS was off on the right channel 30mV compared to 35mV on the left, all in BIAS now. Will try the test LP now and see how it goes.

It wasn't harsh on my headphones (Sennheiser HD 600). Buddy Holly part of your track wasn't sibilant for example. I replayed it both with Foobar and Wavelab to make sure. Maybe your speakers prefer a heavier source sound? Try 100 Ohm cart load. Or change VTA on the arm if you got an aftermarket way with RB300.

Test LP shows normal parameters, needle starts wobbling below 13Hz. For some reason had clumsy mistakes like tracking force was at 4gr instead of 2.5gr, and adjusted anti-skate correctly as it was pushing a needle towards the beginning of a record too fast. All in all i might have hit the jackpot! All together sounds nice, no harshness, bass is here and a nice presentation of music. Will drop a short demo. Thank you Salas

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
This one sounds much better. Especially evident on Sade Is It A Crime and last in line Yello Oh Yeah comparisons. Surely decompressed vs your previous take. Even surface noise is truer at the start. Congratulations. Not bad at all for RP3 + DL-103 regular.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi, I only knew of 2SK389 for monolithic 2SK170 pair with claw like pins until now. This 2SK270 in this flat 7 in line pins package I didn't know about it. Can it be a Japanese only version or a relabeled uPA series NEC? I would use 2SK389 if it was me to be sure. You also need 2SK369 for the better FSP & UFSP schematics input stage. Having to make your own board of course because such dual packages don't fit the official FSP or UFSP boards.

2sk270

20210311_162507.jpg This is my 2sk270, but as you suggest, i will use 2sk389 .
Thank you

hi.
when I started this project it was March 2013 (post 12265).
I abandoned it several times because I noticed a background noise (grounding noise) that I could not eliminate or at least dampen.
during these many months of "forced closing" I removed all the automatisms of a Dual 1219 that did not work properly (but it has always been my worm to make a Dual completely manual) and on this occasion I rewired the arm: 2 channels + the grounding of the arm.
then separate RCA and grounding.
Nick's NJFET RIAA was pulled out of stock and connected to the modified Dual.
finally it sounds without noise problems.
I always thought that I was wrong or that I was continuing to make mistakes while the ground loop was caused by the wiring of the Dual.
it took me exactly 8 years. :rofl:

Attachments

• mkRxcec.jpg
    mkRxcec.jpg
    823.9 KB · Views: 128
  • rbtQG8F.jpg
    rbtQG8F.jpg
    702.6 KB · Views: 127
I finished mine a week or two ago now and have been enjoying it ever since, it really does sound very good, night and day stuff to the basic one I had before. I've spent a fair bit of time reading this thread over the last few months, without the information here I'd have really struggled and also without Salas's help as well!

As someone who hasn't soldered a circuit board or built anything which wasn't a speaker in 20 years, pictures were surprisingly helpful. So here's one of my UFSP, and if the picture of the layout helps someone I'm very glad for that. Mine is in a Modushop Galaxy 2U -330 x 230mm and thinner signal cable would have been simpler!

Thanks to all involved guys, it's been a great thing to do while stuck inside recently.

Attachments

• 20210320_151129.jpg
    20210320_151129.jpg
    932.2 KB · Views: 298
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user