Simplistic NJFET RIAA - Page 937 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th March 2013, 09:44 AM   #9361
andyr is offline andyr  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimkasta View Post
What is grammatically or syntactically incomprehensible about "bass booming on the corner behind the speaker"?

Let me google that for you

The corners behind the speaker is usually where bass gets amplified by the geometry of the room and where standing waves are created. Bass energy is stronger in corners.
Do you really want your turntable in such a place?
If you read my post, dimkasta, you would've understood that I said I had my TT in the corner for 25 years (I've now moved), with no problems in terms of nbass boom or feedback.

But, yes, that wall-corner was 6m away from the nearest speaker. (Whether this makes a significant difference, I have no idea.)

Regards,

Andy
Old 7th March 2013, 09:50 AM   #9362
diyAudio Member

Seems pretty logical assertion to me. Either way, bit off topic.
Old 7th March 2013, 10:28 AM   #9363
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyr View Post
If you read my post, dimkasta, you would've understood that I said I had my TT in the corner for 25 years (I've now moved), with no problems in terms of nbass boom or feedback.

But, yes, that wall-corner was 6m away from the nearest speaker. (Whether this makes a significant difference, I have no idea.)

Regards,

Andy
I was talking about the corner behind the speaker in layouts like the one in Salas' photos (which triggered the comment in the first place). Which means one or one and a half meter at best. The issue is present theoretically in every corner of the room, but if the rig is decent then the effect should be minimal in corners that are not directly behind speakers.
Old 7th March 2013, 10:48 AM   #9364
RCruz is offline RCruz  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzforb View Post
Your the only one who noticed the interesting part i have some resistors i need to send your way.

Please send me an e-mail...

Last edited by RCruz; 7th March 2013 at 10:50 AM.
Old 7th March 2013, 12:33 PM   #9365
massimo is offline massimo  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCruz View Post
Symmetrical ?
I think Salas was referring to a non S.E. topology, with N and P Jfet followed by NPN and PNP bjts as in the original JC2 linestage.
Old 7th March 2013, 12:44 PM   #9366
RCruz is offline RCruz  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by massimo View Post
I think Salas was referring to a non S.E. topology, with N and P Jfet followed by NPN and PNP bjts as in the original JC2 linestage.
Thank you massimo... I reread salas post and now I understand.... there is a folded in the line stage somewere
Old 7th March 2013, 12:49 PM   #9367
massimo is offline massimo  Italy
diyAudio Member

Yes, somewhere over the rainbow....
Old 7th March 2013, 04:08 PM   #9368
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Quote:
I was talking about the corner behind the speaker in layouts like the one in Salas' photos (which triggered the comment in the first place). Which means one or one and a half meter at best. The issue is present theoretically in every corner of the room, but if the rig is decent then the effect should be minimal in corners that are not directly behind speakers.
Although he is living in a small space and he would not have much choice, luckily that TT is ~30kg with a reputation for withstanding external vibration very well.
Old 7th March 2013, 04:23 PM   #9369
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyr View Post
WTF is so "special" about a VPI ... compared to, say, half a dozen other TTs in its price bracket???

Regards,

Andy
Its mass per $ ratio in the particular model's price bracket is a notable characteristic I would suppose. Don't know if are others with comparable approach in that range, haven't researched. Notable alternatives there should be many nonetheless. Sprung sub chassis, gimbal arms, etc.
Old 7th March 2013, 06:19 PM   #9370
andyr is offline andyr  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Aah, OK. Yes, I would agree that 1.5m away might produce a worse effect than 6m away.

Unfortunately, in my next house, I am forced to locate the TT on the front wall, in between the speakers. So it will be, at most, 1.5m away from the nearest speaker.

On the basis of theory, to attempt to get a minimum-resonance position, I have decided to place the centre of the TT plinth on the Golden Mean of that wall. So we'll see how it goes, when we move in mid next year.

Regards,

Andy

Hide this!Advertise here!