Simplistic NJFET RIAA

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Got the total kit unpacked and looked over, but when I just started looking for BOM, schematic, build thread....all the links in post #1 just loop me back here.

I'm sure I'm just missing it, probably too tired to start tonight. :confused:

Russellc

Salas, it loops me to this page as well. Same with first post on GB that links to schematics.

Here is the list of potential parts in the kits.

UltraFSP BOM - Google Sheets

Some of the parts may not be precisely what you have, as I have evolved the kit based on what people have used in first round, and some subs have been made based on availability.

I would rather not post pdf of schematics I have, because I still may be harboring the earlier schematics we used prototyping it.

Last edited:
Joined 2003
Paid Member
You basically don't need the previous FSP guide when having a UFSP kit. All parts tolerances and matches are already sorted from Mike.

I guess that was the must read part? Ok, if that isnt a trouble then no worry there. The BOM helps with part placement even without a build guide, but I always like to read everything "guide" related to see where others had questions, substitutions considered and so forth.

I always preach to others who ask to "read the whole guide making notes" before starting, so following my own advice. I am Murphy's law...everything will go wrong (and that could have been prevented by reading all info) that can go wrong.:emoticon:

Russellc

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Reading the old build guide now, I understand things will be different with the newer kit I have, but at least I can begin to get my head around it. Will do the same with the other when I can find it.

I will also begin reading/skimming this entire thread in the mean time. Its been a while since I first noticed this pre, and based on favorable thoughts from another member I decided to bite at this version.

Russellc

Joined 2003
Paid Member
They work for me... but they link to posts... then you get PDF after another click. Post #9980 has the PDF link...

Maybe this problem is on my end, or (more likely) I'm not understanding you. I dont understand about your "second click bringing up the PDF"? If I click on any of the links on the first post, it literally takes me to the last page in the thread.:Popworm:

Russellc

Link from first thread took me to post 9980 where Salas has the link to the build guide for FSP. I might read over that guide... but I wouldn't necessarily pay any attention to the build steps for that pre unless you want to potentially be mildly confused. For FSP you have to decide ahead of time what type of cart you are going to be using—and build for that cart—more or less. Ultra on the other hand is superbly configurable after the fact—dip swtiches—and a DMM if you change the gain settings. Honestly with Ultra—and the level of build experience I know you have—it pretty much builds itself due to Tea's kits—did you get the "BIG" kit? Hardest part will be separate PSU chassis and tweaking RD/LINK on the RAW board for your toroid—which is a value that I (and probably several other people) can give you since you will likely use the recommended 50VA 2x32 Antek. Or you can pop a big resistor in the outs for a load and figure it out yourself—which is what I did initially—I think that's detailed in the original guide....

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Link from first thread took me to post 9980 where Salas has the link to the build guide for FSP. I might read over that guide... but I wouldn't necessarily pay any attention to the build steps for that pre unless you want to potentially be mildly confused. For FSP you have to decide ahead of time what type of cart you are going to be using—and build for that cart—more or less. Ultra on the other hand is superbly configurable after the fact—dip swtiches—and a DMM if you change the gain settings. Honestly with Ultra—and the level of build experience I know you have—it pretty much builds itself due to Tea's kits—did you get the "BIG" kit? Hardest part will be separate PSU chassis and tweaking RD/LINK on the RAW board for your toroid—which is a value that I (and probably several other people) can give you since you will likely use the recommended 50VA 2x32 Antek. Or you can pop a big resistor in the outs for a load and figure it out yourself—which is what I did initially—I think that's detailed in the original guide....

Yes, I bought the Big kit, everything that was available, matched parts the whole kit and kaboodle. Thanks for the responses, it was your suggestion that led me to this phono pre.

Also, I intend to get the Antek 50VA 2x32 transformer. I realize how the new version is different from the old one in the build guide, but it gives me a sense of what that is, and I will understand how the new version is "Ultra" and all.

I guess I will at least gain the info about RD/link and so forth and can get any needed parts ordered from this guide. With the Big kit, I'm hoping one order (from several suppliers however...) will take care of parts like these, the chassis, RCAs and the transformer.

Russellc

Last edited:
Joined 2003
Paid Member

It takes me to #18551!