Simplistic NJFET RIAA - Page 919 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th January 2013, 07:41 PM   #9181
RCruz is offline RCruz  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Cool
Old 31st January 2013, 02:06 AM   #9182
nezbleu is offline nezbleu  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Stupid question

Ok, after trying to wade through 900 pages and 5 years of posts, I have a question: Has there ever been a group-buy for PCB's for this circuit? I have seen several PCB layouts here, and photos of DIY PCB's and perfboard projects. I figure a phono preamp is perhaps one of the circuits most sensitive to layout/grounding issues, and I am not confident of my ability to build it on perfboard, even though it is a very simple circuit.

But, I am re-entering the world of vinyl after a long absence, and my current preamp is a Salas DCB1, so this looks like a good match. I would love to build one (at least one, since I might want to have a MM and MC version), but I am most confident assembling a printed circuit board. Do they exist? Can they be purchased? Is there another thread about building this circuit?

I must say, reading this thread is very interesting and educational, and it is the thought, analysis, experiment, and input from many people that makes me want to build this. That, and my trust in Salas after building the DCB1, which works as advertised! (I am assuming I will power my phono preamp from a Salas shunt reg.)

Thanks for any info or advice any of you can offer.
Old 31st January 2013, 05:38 AM   #9183
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

No it never has been. As a matter of fact I had this idea floating lately to issue a stereo board complete with integrated double mono regs for the Folded Simplistic NJFET RIAA. MC only mind you. And it could take single K369 or double K170 1st stage to cater for any of those genuine types already stashed. Can't support the wild sized parts choice freedom or achieve the last touch of personal taste finesse an own point to point can. But it could make do for the p2p timid builders. Authoring and testing cycle for such a high gain sensitive project multilayer board is not short though before I am happy with the design & results. Factory protos aren't a home etch. Takes much work its well done before ordering to test. They cost a lot and take time to deliver. I will see to start this in the near future.
Old 31st January 2013, 06:30 AM   #9184
vgeorge is online now vgeorge  Greece
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salas View Post
No it never has been. As a matter of fact I had this idea floating lately to issue a stereo board complete with integrated double mono regs for the Folded Simplistic NJFET RIAA. MC only mind you. And it could take single K369 or double K170 1st stage to cater for any of those genuine types already stashed. Can't support the wild sized parts choice freedom or achieve the last touch of personal taste finesse an own point to point can. But it could make do for the p2p timid builders. Authoring and testing cycle for such a high gain sensitive project multilayer board is not short though before I am happy with the design & results. Factory protos aren't a home etch. Takes much work its well done before ordering to test. They cost a lot and take time to deliver. I will see to start this in the near future.
Old 31st January 2013, 10:15 AM   #9185
diyAudio Member

Feel like giving SMD a go? Perfect for RIAA
Old 31st January 2013, 04:03 PM   #9186
diyAudio Chief Moderator

No. Most people will have more intuitive choice with through hole parts they know or have in stash already and are familiar with handling and soldering them IMHO. Its no high density design anyway.
Old 31st January 2013, 04:08 PM   #9187
diyAudio Member

Sorry. Was just a suggestion.
Old 31st January 2013, 04:14 PM   #9188
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Its a perfectly logical suggestion, I just believe that people will be more at home with parts they have previous experience in sourcing and preference, plus they can see/handle more confidently.
Old 31st January 2013, 04:19 PM   #9189
nezbleu is offline nezbleu  Canada
diyAudio Member

Also, through-hole can give builders more choices in terms of parts selection, different sizes and lead spacings.

So drat: this means I need to build a p2p version or a different design (maybe a kit) first, then build the new Salas one when boards are available!
Old 31st January 2013, 04:24 PM   #9190
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salas View Post
Its a perfectly logical suggestion, I just believe that people will be more at home with parts they have previous experience in sourcing and preference, plus they can see/handle more confidently.
Very true. I must admit I am doing as much for the experience as anything. It just so happens it plays favorably to the application. There are definitely not as many choices with SMD and it can be a pain in A** to solder. Either way, I am interested.

Hide this!Advertise here!