Simplistic NJFET RIAA

92db . These speakers have been criticized for lack of depth. I have had no such problem. I do have a heavily treated sound room , which may explain why I have no such problem.

Attachments

• 20200720_203737.jpg
    20200720_203737.jpg
    620.6 KB · Views: 275
I bi amped the system and am driving them with a Aleph J . The low end is done with a set of 160 watt mono blocks ( class AB of course ) driving a pair of Audio Concepts Saturn sub woofers , a pair of 12 inch woofers , compound push pull. The system will rock the house. The Saturns are 30 years old and have been kept in good condition. I can find no reason to replace them.

Attachments

• 20200606_151826.jpg
    20200606_151826.jpg
    834.4 KB · Views: 268
  • 20200606_152702.jpg
    20200606_152702.jpg
    787.7 KB · Views: 257
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Nice comfortable listening layout. Are the long cables one stereo run that goes to an active crossover unit? Or more runs are involved in parallel directly to the amps and increasing the driven capacitance? Are they normal spec coax or special lower pF per foot type like some Mogami and Belden?

Interesting American table. Not very usual.

I have two of these nice tables from the end of 1970’s . Both fully restored. One is with SME III and the second one with Mayware Formula IV.

About my FSP test against UslFSP... FSP was set to 40dB and it is too low for my MC. It was previously used with my Grace-F9 Ruby. Then, I set it to 62dB last weekend (impacted by maximalism) and it is definitely too high for 1mV MC cart. I started to hear some harsh on top and mid highs. Also, it is way too loud now and it’s concentrated on ton of
loud dirt related clicks.
So, I’ll go to 56dB during next couple of days and will be ready to make something close to apple2apple comparison.

Adjustments.jpg

View attachment 1

Attachments

• IMG_3324.jpg
    IMG_3324.jpg
    864.7 KB · Views: 407
Last edited:
Joined 2017
Paid Member
Hello to all
Following this thread before beginning the build the beast is great, as entertaining as informative on many aspects, and oftentimes its just a riddle to me (nevermind, that’s cool too).
Now, as I still haven’t begun my build, I have some questions in front of me:

the ultraFSP is my entry-point to boutique capacitors. What is your recommendation for making a choice (how do I find out which one could be a better match?)—beside spending a fortune for a collection of every matching cap...? Anything more or less objective? is there a common opinion on certain brands/types?

Chassis: I‘ll settle on modushop (maybe a takachi, but nevermind the brand), with separate chassis for usfp and psu. Spacewise, are 230 x 280 and a 124 x 280 both 2U good to go?

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hello to all

Now, as I still haven’t begun my build, I have some questions in front of me:

the ultraFSP is my entry-point to boutique capacitors. What is your recommendation for making a choice (how do I find out which one could be a better match?)—beside spending a fortune for a collection of every matching cap...? Anything more or less objective? is there a common opinion on certain brands/types?

I have listened to the Mundorf Supreme Silver Gold Oil, Clarity CSA, Clarity CMR and Jupiter Copper Foil as C3, the most influential cap.
I like the CMR and copper foil the best, then Supreme then CSA from memory.
I have three sets of Mundorf EVO's to test latter on, but I have not gotten to it. I have way too many projects that have more immediate timelines to complete, and I had to give up my office listening room to the wife.

If anyone in US wants to test these, keeping leads long and desoldering, let me know. I would do internationally, but shipping costs and times are not in our favor here. If I had to currently recommend - it would be CMRs for C3-C4, I have spent the most time with it and it's neutral, detailed and not sharp in any way. The CSA are a bit bolder sounding. The Copper Foil has a little more body to it, but cost is prohibitive. It adds tone that may not seem natural.
I swapped the signal cap in my M2 clone to a EVO Oil, and it provided lots of detail by comparison to a .50 elna silimic capacitor. I was hoping that these would be a good cost effective recommendation here, but without listening time, I won't do that.

Last edited:
Joined 2017
Paid Member
I have listened to the Mundorf Supreme Silver Gold Oil, Clarity CSA, Clarity CMR and Jupiter Copper Foil as C3, the most influential cap.
I like the CMR and copper foil the best, then Supreme then CSA from memory.
I have three sets of Mundorf EVO's to test latter on, but I have not gotten to it. I have way too many projects that have more immediate timelines to complete, and I had to give up my office listening room to the wife.

If anyone in US wants to test these, keeping leads long and desoldering, let me know. I would do internationally, but shipping costs and times are not in our favor here. If I had to currently recommend - it would be CMRs for C3-C4, I have spent the most time with it and it's neutral, detailed and not sharp in any way. The CSA are a bit bolder sounding. The Copper Foil has a little more body to it, but cost is prohibitive. It adds tone that may not seem natural.
I swapped the signal cap in my M2 clone to a EVO Oil, and it provided lots of detail by comparison to a .50 elna silimic capacitor. I was hoping that these would be a good cost effective recommendation here, but without listening time, I won't do that.

Thank you very very much, Tea!
I appreciate that you implicitly even offered to borrow some parts for testing. Since I’m in switzerland: Sigh!

I’m sifting through the vast collection of capacitors @ Hifi collective and, according to Salas, will end more or less there: https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analogue-source/129126-simplistic-njfet-riaa-1780.html#post6213329 [emoji23]
But before this, I try to find some information to help make a selection about those magic parts...