Simplistic NJFET RIAA

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
The circa 7V raw to rail difference is very good. Both generous but not heating Q1x too much also. Leave it at that.

No the signal won't create a difference in current draw. That's AC domain after the regulator. The DC draw governor is the Q1x CCS PSU bias. That's preset. This kind of regulator is not open ended towards its raw DC input.

Joined 2013
Paid Member
I have three turntables with MM to pick from:
1 - Thorens TD-321 with SME 3009 series 3 tonearm and Shure V15VxMR with a JICO SAS needle.
2 - Thorens TD-320 MK 3 with Thorens TP90 tonearm and a Sumiko Blackbird HO MC cartridge.
3 - Thorens TD-125 MK2 with an SME 3009 series 2 improved arm and Shure V15VxMR with a JICO SAS needle.
I've owned all three since new, both SME tonearms were rewired from clips to RCA's with a single length of 35AWG Cardas.
The Thorens TD-321 originally had a Sumiko FT3 Premier tonearm, which I had rewired and a new SS end stub and dropped counterweight. It waits for another turntable.

Joined 2013
Paid Member
I never sell certain pieces, which is why I have so many:
1 - Thorens TD 125 I bought brand new in 1976 (my first great audio piece) Love the strobe built in and the look of the SME 3009, dangling weight off the side was so cool. The JICO SAS needle turned this combination into MY favorite. I'm convinced it's the needle.
2 - TD 321 I bought in 1985 along with a Threshold FET 9 and S/300 amp. I bought the SME arm because I couldn't afford it at the time and "settled" on the Sumiko. This was my favorite for 30+ years. With the same needle/cartridge as the TD125, the TD125 has better bass responce. The TD321 excels at acoustic music, not complex.
3 - TD 320 MK3 is for when I'm lazy, semi-automatic, I bought this cheap and had to rebuild the arm (bent tube) wiring and speed control. I like the 24 pole motor over the 15 pole motor of the other two.
4 - Rega P2, found this at a garage sale minus tonearm and dust cover. Had an updated outer platter so I added the 24 volt motor, inner platter with sapphire bearing and my Expressimo Machining Mongoose 250 tonearm. A Rega RB250 arm with a threaded sleeve for VTA adjust, dropped counterweight with end stub and great wiring, one piece, from clips to RCA. Audio-Technica AT-OC9ML/II MC low output cartridge. Perfect for acoustic Jazz.

Attachments

• IMG_1259.JPG
    IMG_1259.JPG
    796.5 KB · Views: 280
  • IMG_1261.JPG
    IMG_1261.JPG
    752.8 KB · Views: 280
  • IMG_1265.JPG
    IMG_1265.JPG
    850.8 KB · Views: 283
  • IMG_1266.JPG
    IMG_1266.JPG
    912.3 KB · Views: 249
  • IMG_1267.JPG
    IMG_1267.JPG
    816.2 KB · Views: 245
Joined 2013
Paid Member
The TD125 has new coil springs and dampeners as of 3 years ago, the "clamp" is just a weight which has little to no effect on the TD125. However, the TD320 MK3 has leaf spring suspension that is very soft, any kind of extra weight, like a clamp, lowers the platter until it touches the plinth. The TD321 also has leaf spring suspension, which is very stiff, so clamp has no effect.

Joined 2017
Paid Member
The TD125 has new coil springs and dampeners as of 3 years ago, the "clamp" is just a weight which has little to no effect on the TD125. However, the TD320 MK3 has leaf spring suspension that is very soft, any kind of extra weight, like a clamp, lowers the platter until it touches the plinth. The TD321 also has leaf spring suspension, which is very stiff, so clamp has no effect.

Thank you, elwood!
I always thought this was a clamp and had difficulties to imagine the function...

I never sell certain pieces, which is why I have so many:
1 - Thorens TD 125 I bought brand new in 1976 (my first great audio piece) Love the strobe built in and the look of the SME 3009, dangling weight off the side was so cool. The JICO SAS needle turned this combination into MY favorite. I'm convinced it's the needle.
2 - TD 321 I bought in 1985 along with a Threshold FET 9 and S/300 amp. I bought the SME arm because I couldn't afford it at the time and "settled" on the Sumiko. This was my favorite for 30+ years. With the same needle/cartridge as the TD125, the TD125 has better bass responce. The TD321 excels at acoustic music, not complex.
3 - TD 320 MK3 is for when I'm lazy, semi-automatic, I bought this cheap and had to rebuild the arm (bent tube) wiring and speed control. I like the 24 pole motor over the 15 pole motor of the other two.
4 - Rega P2, found this at a garage sale minus tonearm and dust cover. Had an updated outer platter so I added the 24 volt motor, inner platter with sapphire bearing and my Expressimo Machining Mongoose 250 tonearm. A Rega RB250 arm with a threaded sleeve for VTA adjust, dropped counterweight with end stub and great wiring, one piece, from clips to RCA. Audio-Technica AT-OC9ML/II MC low output cartridge. Perfect for acoustic Jazz.

Very nice! I have a TD 320 (Mk I) that I bought new probably back around '84 or so. I don't recall the springs in it being that soft? I have since wished that I had waited for a Mk II or Mk III with the TP90 arm, although I guess the TP16 is pretty well thought of if setup well. I haven't had it set up for a decade, but built the Salas phono stage to see about getting back into vinyl. I trust it will perform far better than anything I have used previously (Hafler DH110 and Counterpoint SA5.1). My current preamps don't have phono stages, so kind of a necessity now.

Attachments

• 4 - 2.jpg
    4 - 2.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 428
  • 4 - 1.jpg
    4 - 1.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 429
Last edited:
Joined 2013
Paid Member

The Mk III has soft springs, the MK1 & II are stiffer.