Simplistic NJFET RIAA

Joined 2006
Paid Member
You mean a unique shorted wire around the core of the TX can yield so much current as to melt down.!? It is logical .....

Now back to the Jensen mod here you have my late night list of comments:
More overall detail
Bigger sounstage in all directions
Life like timbre of the instruments that present full diferentiation and placement
Better overall integration
Smooth very extended trebble
Improved transient definition
Bass control with outstanding attack and decay, articulation and articulation
Aparent and integrated micro detail

I am using Nichicon in the analog psu for the output stage in my CDP... I tryed to bypass them and got significant improvements in trebble detail but the sound was not very well integrated... I reverted the mod.

The Jensen caps sound like bypassed nichicon without any integration issues so this means they are really better at high freq.

Ricardo

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
He, he. :D Save for a Jan Allaerts. You deserve one.

Attachments

• mc_1_b003.jpg
    mc_1_b003.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 550
Salas , this came from JC

"It is not always possible to remove the center tap, because it requires VERY symmetrical current loading. Sometimes it is more useful to put a 5mH air core choke in series with the center tap. I do that in several designs. This allows DC asymmetry, yet tends to block AC from the center tap getting into the ground."

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Field Effects

It might sound strange but only now I am realising the full potential of the shunt + riaa.

From the beginning I have been hearing a distinct hum that I never cured dispite several attempts : (double shunt with special gnd setup and new smoothing caps) :angel:

Today I released the TX from it´s center bolt and started to move it around with very noticeable effects.

Pointing the secondary wire exit towards the shunt / riaa, produces the maximum hum (This was the initial setup :apathic: )

Rotating the TX for only 10º reduced hum dramatically.

So I decided to put the tX upside down (so the wires come off the base) and rotated these 15º from original position.

Now hum is not perceivable at normal listening levels (To improve this I should lift the TX some 20 cm up because this eliminates hum at 100%, but in this case it would not fit in the box).

Imediate improvements are very noticeable in the bass that became much more detailed, articulate and inteligible.

This riaa is revealing itself as very low noise.

Will report later.

Ricardo

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
You should have told... Anyway, nice you grasped the field effect.:)

You can try a copper foil band around the whole height of TX periphery. Connect the band to GND with a wire. Its you don't use coaxial signal cable that makes it more sensitive, but you can do as above.

Here is of how I do it in my KT88 amp.

Attachments

• copperband.gif
    copperband.gif
    62.4 KB · Views: 708
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hi salas

I will try the copper foil in the first place and rearrange the shunt layout inside the actual case. If it does not cure the hum 100%, I must build an external PSU.

I found some 13mm copper tape in Farnell. As the TX is higher, I must place several layers of copper. Can I wind the foil around the TX (as if I was wraping a tennis racket handle) ?

I am afraid that such winding procedure might cause strong eddie currents.

Ricardo