Simplistic NJFET RIAA

star quad is not a two pair cable.
Star quad is a 4 wire cable that passes one signal as if it were a one pair cable.
2pair requires some separation. Either by twisting the pairs at different pitch as in a Cat5/6 cable, or by two completely separate 1pair inside their own screen/shield.
The Mogami 1pair shown in post 15859 seems to have a lapped screen/shield, This is not as good as a braided screen/shield.
For TT use I would keep to the best screened/shielded twisted pair and keep them very short by moving the RIAA pre to inside, or directly under the TT.

Silver Wire AG5480 | Buy Online | Advent Research

I have been using this whit a significant improvement whit Goldring Elite and RPM 4
2 conductors twisted inside silicone tube for each channel and then wire bride to enclose the 2 tubes
Just one solder Joint at cartridge crimps and one solder joint on a 5 pin plug

Cartridge is then sort of floating balanced till from the 5 pin socket the returns are connected to the grounds on the phono stage

Joined 2009
Paid Member
star quad is not a two pair cable.
Star quad is a 4 wire cable that passes one signal as if it were a one pair cable.
2pair requires some separation. Either by twisting the pairs at different pitch as in a Cat5/6 cable, or by two completely separate 1pair inside their own screen/shield.
The Mogami 1pair shown in post 15859 seems to have a lapped screen/shield, This is not as good as a braided screen/shield.
For TT use I would keep to the best screened/shielded twisted pair and keep them very short by moving the RIAA pre to inside, or directly under the TT.

What's your best screened/shielded twisted pair?

2 silicon tubes to keep pair separate 1Braid
but 2 separate braid is also possible or beterer 2 bride whit further braid to enclose the pair

IMO capacitance is beast to contend whit as cart channel separation of 25 dB is typical

BTW Which cartridge for best channel separation? I remember old AKG P25MD to have 35dB and that was about the top in this regard

I doubt I will go and make phono cables with independent insulated wires which will be at least same spec as big names like Mogami and others. I'll go for commercial sale for bulk. I see Partsconn sale Cardas 4 wires (2 pairs) shielded for phono and I need about 6 foot. Do you guys experienced with this one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I see and now I got your advice for W2497. To be honest I thought that my cable got charged somehow and I have some static discharge effect. I did not connect my findings to geometry differences .
How to explain such properties with regard to FSP input configuration? Hi capacitance? Is that the issue?

One more test set of results on cable:
a. Original cable with pup pups: 79pF between twisted pairs and 66pF between channels, and 126pF between wires and screen.
Pup ups sounds when GND (Screen is connected). When screen is disconnected, general noise is high (as expected) but no pup ups.
b. For Generic RCA with no GND, 66pF between signal and return. I left GNG connected from Original cable and no pup ups.

So, it is due to high capacitance between wires and screen?