Simplistic NJFET RIAA

help :mad:, while measuring my probe slides and ... "catastrophe"
Dc in is ok, but rail + fails at 5v, tp1,tp2 at 5v too, D1..D4 don't light anymore (normal at 5v). all other led (in the regul) are ok (means are shining).

Any advice or other measure to detect the faulty component (before changing everything :rolleyes:)

edit : it works and sound well before what should have been the last measure

I check the regul as i can, Q1x/Q2x seems ok, 52 Dc in, 46.5 v at R2x...
after 5v :(. As the riaa cannot be separated from the regul (without desoldering), can i use the next chanel Dc regulated (35v) to power the faulty channel at the same point (rail+).

this will allow me to see which area is faulty (regul or riaa)
if riaa faulty, i will of course quickly disconnect it

N.B : Q6x is cold

one Rail + can it support two chanel ?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
No, don't supply two channels from one reg. From your description very possibly the slip probe accident did something that affected the reg area only. Check Q3X and Q5X (when power is off) with the DMM in resistance mode. There should be 50-150 Ohm drain to source for each and not a short or near short. With the power on, Q4X should be reading about 0.6V Vbe also if those JFETS are OK. Then Q6X must be reading 3.5-5V Vgs.

just be back from M. Gardot concert... bought one LP, wait for our pre to listen to it :cool:

back to diy, i'd rather change Q3x, finding mills resistor at proper higher value won't be easier.

So i cut the one i just solder which gives 3.3mA Idss.
i have 4.51ma and 5.70ma spare, I guess 4.51mA is ok ?