Simplistic NJFET RIAA

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi is there a way of getting higher output fsp to pre ?
mine is quiet need to turn up volume to around 1/4 of the way to get sound from fsp
all other sources start just off zero

Only by adding 10-15dB line stage in between. Overload margins needed for vinyl replay don't allow another much higher gain policy internal to FSP for its architecture. Its set at bit over -10dbV consumer standard already though which is normal for most phono stages at 5cm/s record velocity. We could modify yours to bit more custom gain given your cart and your system's gain architecture though.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
P.S. Is your Karat 17 set at normal VTF giving all its mV output normally, or is it set bit lighter?
Also if you got rather higher than usual Rail+ there is probably more chosen value than needed in R2 R3 meaning some gain potential is hidden there already

Dear Salas,

A few more questions regarding C6 and C8 values.

I added back the 470 uF SILMIC to C6 since you said this cap was more than a power supply bypass. Could 530 uF be too much here? I have not tried this without the 470. I would like to but am worried I could do harm to the FETs. Is that a possibility?

I have not added anything to the 60 uF for C8 - I do not hear any problems but wonder if you could tell me what effects you might expect with too little capacitance here. I would guess noise and I do not hear any additional noise but I am going to add 210uF of non-polar BGs I have laying about that were used for cathode bypass in another circuit. Just to hear if there is a difference.

I would prefer to stick with PPs but that is not possible for space reasons, obviously!

Would you give me some MORE guidance on this, please?

Thanks and take care,

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi

For C6 you may use 530uF as well. Harm to FETS its not likely to be done with far too little C6 capacitance, only to reach some inadequate local filtering threshold that audible buzz may creep in. That has to do with the total system gain too. Only by some accidental tampering or probing move during tweaks when the circuit is energized you could burn FETS. Or with some PSU disaster accident of course.

Since you have already invested enough expensive parts in your FSP and in a good TT that both please you as a combination, keep an extra quartet of matched K369BL because they will inevitably become rarity spares in the rather near future. (This design besides encompassing some of my technical choices and tunings that can be repeated for various semis its also an ark for golden era Toshiba material not likely to be repeated)

Difficult to hear straight hiss with 60uF C8 but you could find more subtle resolution with more uF or not. Do try to compare. There is a trade off in capacitor material, size, and effectiveness of value. Its a system resolution dependent area again. Combination of big PP & Elco is many times not that bad idea. But find for yourself in the concept of your build and system. Its always the best advice for special subjective investigations.

Give me measurement of mV across source pin resistors R2 and R3 also their value in Ohm. Also give me measurement of Rail+ and mV across R8. I will crunch the numbers to see if we can squeeze a bit more sensitivity for you or not without penalty

Hi
r2 64.6mv r3 65.1mv both 6.8r
r8 47k
rail is 35.73
mv across r8 jumps up and down ? 0.0 0.5 1.2
both boards the same

17d output vtf etc is all good

thank you