Simplistic NJFET RIAA

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Thanks all for the kind thoughts. I'm running a Thorens td-145ii, with a Grace F940 arm (the older one without anti-skate), and a Denon dl 301ii cart. I have my eye is on one of two carts in the next couple of months: the Ortofon Quintet Black, or the AT 33sa. I had been running a couple of diy, op-amp stages. I felt that neither of those was worthy of an investment in either of the two carts I'm considering. This jfet amp will allow me to move ahead.

Sjoerd, anybody that pops those cake pans into the oven will be removed from my Christmas list.

Salas, I didn't pay too much attention to C2Y; but, I'll definitely look into it now. The Ortofon looks like it wants around 50 ohms and the AT 100. The current Denon is doing well at 330.

I have listened to AT-ART9 on SME IV through the FSP and no worries it easily shows the difference from my AT33PTG/II so go ahead for a better cart than the 301ii in confidence. I use 200 Ohm for my 33 BTW. 100 Ohm was making it heavy in tone.

I have listened to AT-ART9 on SME IV through the FSP and no worries it easily shows the difference from my AT33PTG/II so go ahead for a better cart than the 301ii in confidence. I use 200 Ohm for my 33 BTW. 100 Ohm was making it heavy in tone.

The recommended impedance for the 301 is >100. My existing stage has fully adjustable impedance; so I tried everything from 50 up to about 600 and settled at 330, which is 10 x internal. I just ordered a set of 330 z-foils which I'll install next to existing the 330 Takmans and compare. I'll post my impressions, probably be a couple of weeks.

Got mine up and running
sounded great last night was up to 2am best I have heard for a long time
now sound bass light this morning do these need some burn in time?
they are in cardboard boxes at the moment it will almost be a shame to put them in cases
just for a bit of info
t/t goldring 88
mg1 air bearing arm
dynavector 17D3 Karat

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
It takes 48 hours of play usually for the previously stored electrolytic capacitors to shape up. Nice TT rig you got there BTW. 17D3 can get a bit upbeat and bass light in my experience but its easily responsive to loading also, so after enough hours of play if it is not filling up, revisit loading value too. Check out your TP1-TP2 to be about the same as last night if the room temperature has changed a lot. After 20 minutes from power up. What rail voltage you ended up with?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Btw, what to trust for Idss measurements?
I measured my k369 and k117 with my new Peak DSA75 Atlas and also via mode described in DYI. The results are deviate quite a bit. It is correlation (like trend), but offset is about 10-15%.
Trust DIY method at 9-10V VDS. Because Peak Atlas DCA Pro uses lower VDS under its internal PSU limitations but that makes it indicative, it does not allow user's choice. I expect that your deviation is correlating by trend but it gives lower IDSS value versus the DIY method. When for really high IDSS even more confusing because it current limits also. Today I was measuring a few J112 for example. Atlas says Id>12mA at VDS 0.47V. To say IDSS it must sustain 3V. Not useful. Fairchild gives 15V spec to measure IDSS. Using lab PSU and DMM I found them ranging 33-43mA IDSS.

You know that I work for semiconductor (mostly memory manufacture) process microscopy R&D for 20 years.... So, all Japan located Fabs have much higher Yield and process related repeatability is usually amazing. When they finalized process flow, then it's done. 6 sigma spec for every step is also implemented awhile ago. Test and sort on Probes are above imagination. It is a discipline and patience for repetitive hard work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not sure if I can call my self a scientist..:), but I'm deeply in physics/semiconductor process/material science (DUV optics and Electron Scanning microscopy. Just swapped employer and started to work for Micron R&D in Boise 2 month ago. Worked for Nova Measuring Instruments for 16 years right after Intel and National Semi.
Started to be boring at work and this is how I felt into analog DYI as a hobby. Love it very much.:)

Process Development Engineer
Alex, would you refer to yourself as a "Technician", or an "Engineer"?

If I am working in my trained profession, I would refer to myself as an "Engineer".
When working outside my profession, I could loosely refer to myself as an untrained technican, or more correctly since I am not trained to any accredited standard, as an "amateur".
Nowadays almost everthing I do is as an Amateur.

Last edited:
Hi Andrew, I refer my self to "engineer" at my work since been Phd educated and trained well over the years. For my relatively new and favour Audio analog DYI, I'm definitely call myself scientist since do not have systematic knowledge, have crazy ideas and do a lot of risky experiments with 50 % of success rate for solid and logical outcomes. :).