Simplistic NJFET RIAA - Page 762 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th May 2012, 12:23 AM   #7611
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

That Pyle maybe decent, you scored a give away price for it. Has a metal box is good. With that one it will be more interesting to listen. First thing to do is helping up its outbox supply maybe with a Kean Cmult.
Old 11th May 2012, 12:36 AM   #7612
diyAudio Member

That's an idea. Maybe a CM choke and then the Kmultiplier (or a battery, I have some 12V SLA's sitting around...). I was thinking maybe I should have a separate power strip for my audio stuff, plugged into a line filter. But that won't filter noise from other equipment on the power strip.

Have you ever had one of the moments where you go into a trance and think about how you would design a phono preamp and watch the schematic form through misty tunnel vision, then snap out of it suddenly and forget what you had done? I just had that moment.
Old 11th May 2012, 12:42 AM   #7613
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Aha! Now I see where the term ''audio visionary'' came from.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vrtx.jpg (22.2 KB, 158 views)
Old 11th May 2012, 12:45 AM   #7614
diyAudio Member

I noticed that the P-mount has some vertical play, so I can angle the cart slightly up or down. Not sure what to do here. It doesn't seem to work to push it into the tonarm to make it flush with the mount. But maybe I could use this to my advantage.

Listening to "SRO Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass". Nice stuff, but the horns seems to clip the recording equipment, not a surprise I guess.
Old 11th May 2012, 12:55 AM   #7615
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass The Work Song Video 1966 - YouTube

That play gives you a bit like VTA change. Nose up or down usually changes brightness. Brass blat and bite is nice program to judge best.
Old 11th May 2012, 12:59 AM   #7616
diyAudio Member

I notice that the style actually makes audible sound that I can hear when the speakers aren't turned on. I guess it fades away when the speakers are turned on because it's in phase. With this stylus it's louder than the other one. Could this mean increased "compliance"? I wonder how this could apply to speakers. One aspect of low-efficiency speakers is that they are more immune to reflections inside the cabinet. I wonder what are the pros and cons of a more compliant stylus?

I suspect this SRO LP needs a glueing. I'm hearing some kind of distortion I can only imagine must be some residue in the grooves. Other than the the record is very clean, maybe it has been washed many times. The record itself is stiffer then my others, and I think this must indicate a difference in quality, for better or worse.
Old 11th May 2012, 01:13 AM   #7617
diyAudio Member

Okay, my records have too much static. I can clean them, but just taking them out of the sleeve attracts every airborn particle in the room. How do you guys keep the static down? I tried rubbing dryer sheets on one, it didn't work.
Old 11th May 2012, 01:14 AM   #7618
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by keantoken View Post
I notice that the style actually makes audible sound that I can hear when the speakers aren't turned on. I guess it fades away when the speakers are turned on because it's in phase. With this stylus it's louder than the other one. Could this mean increased "compliance"? I wonder how this could apply to speakers. One aspect of low-efficiency speakers is that they are more immune to reflections inside the cabinet. I wonder what are the pros and cons of a more compliant stylus?
Means more groove contact and tip-cantilever vibration. One thing is you upped the VTF to +0.25g and the new tip profile possibly tracks better. Compliance is about the softness of the suspension. Usually allows lower vertical tracking force and correct resonance for lighter body mass carts.
Old 11th May 2012, 01:15 AM   #7619
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by keantoken View Post
Okay, my records have too much static. I can clean them, but just taking them out of the sleeve attracts every airborn particle in the room. How do you guys keep the static down? I tried rubbing dryer sheets on one, it didn't work.
Special sleeves, antistatic mat, zap guns.
Old 11th May 2012, 02:02 AM   #7620
diyAudio Member

I want to oil the platter, the manual say to use "SFWO 010". What do I need for this?

Hide this!Advertise here!