Simplistic NJFET RIAA - Page 760 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th May 2012, 06:16 AM   #7591
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Sounds like a bargain deal for a spare at least, Technics produced no slouch MM on its own back in the day. If yours carries a Technics one still.
Old 6th May 2012, 10:13 AM   #7592
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salas View Post
Sounds like a bargain deal for a spare at least, Technics produced no slouch MM on its own back in the day. If yours carries a Technics one still.
Wow that looks stunning. I see someone has used it on a Technics linear tracker. Seems like a no-brainer.
Old 6th May 2012, 10:40 AM   #7593
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Mount the RIAA inside the turntable package.
Keep the wires from the arm to the RIAA as short as possible, while maintaining flexibility to not hinder turntable set up.
Old 6th May 2012, 12:22 PM   #7594
atupi is offline atupi  Romania
diyAudio Member

Salas, what is the output impedance of this nice preamp that i have also built?
Old 6th May 2012, 04:35 PM   #7595
diyAudio Member

I am looking for a new T4P cartridge, but I keep getting confused. The AT92ECD is supposed to be the best below $50, but I can get the AT311EP for the same price. At the same time, I heard the 92ECD is better. Not sure what to think about all this. The 91ECD has a .4/.7 instead of .3/.7, so theoretically it will pick up less noise? But I'm not afraid of using wood glue, maybe I shouldn't worry about noise...

Last edited by keantoken; 6th May 2012 at 04:43 PM.
Old 6th May 2012, 06:03 PM   #7596
diyAudio Member

Also, it looks like you could buy different styli that would fit into all of those AT carts. For instance, put the AT3482P stylus into the AT92ECD cart, for better or worse... Haha, has someone tried this?
Old 6th May 2012, 07:56 PM   #7597
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by atupi View Post
Salas, what is the output impedance of this nice preamp that i have also built?
60-70 Ohm for BL grade IDSS used.
Old 6th May 2012, 10:24 PM   #7598
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by keantoken View Post
I am looking for a new T4P cartridge, but I keep getting confused. The AT92ECD is supposed to be the best below $50, but I can get the AT311EP for the same price. At the same time, I heard the 92ECD is better. Not sure what to think about all this. The 91ECD has a .4/.7 instead of .3/.7, so theoretically it will pick up less noise? But I'm not afraid of using wood glue, maybe I shouldn't worry about noise...
Kean don't know really, 311EP is supposed to be the top dog as poised in gamut by AT themselves, isn't it? It could be very possible some less quality arms and TTs find a fatter stylus more forgiving though. Someone with direct experience should give real clues.
Old 7th May 2012, 01:45 PM   #7599
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keantoken View Post
Spent a few hours looking for reviews of these carts with various posh shaped stylii. Unfortunately I haven't been able to reach a conclusion either. I'm very tempted to spend 250 euros on an Ortofon X1.
Old 7th May 2012, 01:47 PM   #7600
diyAudio Member

Salas:

Will I need the pre-pre if I plug a medium output MC cartridge into the MM RIAA?
I believe the output of the cartridge is around 0.5mv.

Hide this!Advertise here!