Simplistic NJFET RIAA

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
The Clash are the cream of the crop of the first gen Punk explosion carried bands IMHO. They had multicultural influences that have shown early and culminated in Sandinista. This one was made for an NME flexi that never made it and was included in London Calling without mention on the sleeve. One of my favorites for their more melodic side, along Lost In The Supermarket Charlie Don't Surf, Somebody Got Murdered, Spanish Bombs latin, Ska, Reggae (Rudie Can't Fail, Gun's Of Brixton,Police And Thieves) what to remember or exclude... a pain. Had the opportunity to be in their last live appearance. No ideology in music anymore.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
I have a copy of that album.... must heart it again !

I see you like subs... but I wonder why 5 units ?

I have only one and already hear the stereo image sliding towards one side.... I would like to have two, and connect one to each channel... but that´s all.... now 5 units ?

Ricardo

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
There is a way to have perfect, even, deep bass like in a big hall in your living room if scattering many subs differently tuned (some bigger some smaller) also different for level and phase, pioneered by Dr. Earl Geddes. Without resorting to bass traps etc. And without caring much about their quality. You with one sub just excite the room modes, the many ones excite them in an evening out manner through long time averaging measurements and tweaks.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
vgeorge said:

Rcruz, you will be shocked by the difference!
I measured the obligato and it was 46.5 both of them. I added a 450pF silver mica to get close to 47nF.
Hi vgeorge
Today I got two 47nF obbligato.

Using my china DMM, I read 45.1nF but I did a database of readings with all the caps I have available and am quite sure the DMM reads -5% in this capacitance range.

45.1 + 5% = 47.4n

What difference did you notice by replacing the PIO with this combination ? Where is it more noticeable ?

I am going to do this mod in my actual riaa and as the pcb is very damaged, I need to plan in advance to avoid issues.

Ricardo

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Salas said:
Those 15700pF Russian giant Silver Micas Ricardo has, are very tight for tolerance. He can use those so to have and idea.

I already ordered some more of those 15750pF for the new riaa. I will use those as bench.

The problem is that there is not a constant variation. It oscilates depending on the cap value, but the average is -5%.

The graphs give an idea.

Attachments

• dmm cap readings.zip
    7.7 KB · Views: 80
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Sucessfull operation !!!

Out came the PIO and in the 47nF obbligato.

Also added some "special reserve :lock:" NSF polystyrenes 2700pF on the +28v in the board decoupling to GND.

Imediate results after 1 minute settling down: Lower noise floor... good stereo image ... ;)

After initial loose sound, things are getting tighter. Need to wait some hours to be able to report correctly:smash: :smash: :smash:

Ricardo

PS:
This is getting BIG